Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

HTML 5 Reset Theme

• # July 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I just picked up a job that’s using the HTML 5 Reset theme. I’m having a problem with the menus. The site has a two-level navigation, which works fine. When I try to switch a second-level nav to a first level nav, I’m losing all the second-level navigation that was associated with it. Hope that makes sense.

# July 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Nope….not really.

How can you switch a 2nd level menu to a 1st level one?

# July 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Hah! If you want to see a visual, here’s the website:
    http://www.pitcherinn.com.
    I want “Accomodations” to be “Suites & Guests”. When I do that, I also want the “Rates & Packages” etc. to be where they are now.

# July 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Check this thread for proper menu levels.

http://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/26646/submenu-option#Item_2

# July 11, 2013 at 8:21 am

Simple answer.

Change the text of “Accomodation” to “Suites & Guestrooms”.

Change the text of “Suites & Guestrooms” to something like “Room Gallery”

Does that do it?

# July 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Paulie_D: That doesn’t really work. The client is trying to eliminate one click for the user. “Suites & Guestrooms” will go directly to the gallery of rooms rather than “Accomodations” going to a “splash” page of sorts, which includes a link to “Suites & Guestrooms”.

# July 11, 2013 at 9:40 am

So there are, it seems two issue.

The first is pretty simple;

Change the text of “Accomodation” to “Suites & Guestrooms”.

Change the `href` of that link to that of “Suites & Guestrooms” (http://www.pitcherinn.com/accommodations/suites-guestrooms/)

Shouldn’t be that hard unless there is something that we don’t know.

Second issue is, I suppose, the elimination of the “Suites & Guestrooms” from the sub menu. I think you could just remove it entirely couldn’t you?

# July 11, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, I agree with your method. I guess I just got hung up on why when I go into the “menus” part of WP, it doesn’t seem to work as I would expect. That’s when I lose the bottom row of navigation.

# July 11, 2013 at 10:17 am

I changed the href in the WP page to suites-guestrooms, but it still goes to “accomodations”. Is there someplace else that needs to be changed?

# July 11, 2013 at 10:25 am

WP isn’t my area of expertise but I’m guessing there is something I am missing.

I still get this…

• Accommodations
  • I guess there is something I’m missing.

# July 11, 2013 at 10:35 am

Ok. Well, thanks for your help Paulie_D.

# July 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm

This has got nothing to do with the theme, and it’s just setting up the right nav items in the menu admin.

Either that or you’re not very clear in what you’re after.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".