Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other .htacces and hidden files in OSX

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I sometimes I have to do some work with .htacces files but i don’t like the idea of showing hidden files.

How do you guys handle these situations? do you toggle the show hidden files option? if so do you have a trick for doing so without the terminal?
    Or do you have some kind of pro trick that i don’t know of?

chrisburton
    Participant

What do you mean by hidden files? Are you talking about the list of files you might see inside a directory?

wolfcry911
    Participant

most editors have an option to show hidden files when in the open dialog box. So, I leave them hidden but ‘see’ them when selecting a file to open. What are you using?

SgtLegend

Personally I use Total Finder which comes with a toggle built in for showing hidden files such as .htaccess.

rthor

I just use a Workflow in [Alfred](http://alfredapp.com) to toggle the visibility. Easy enough to create but here is a similar workflow to the one I created: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/315-hidden-files-toggle/?hl=%2Bhidden+%2Bfiles

TheDoc

As @wolfcry911 mentioned, most text editors will show hidden files like .htaccess or .gitignore.

If, for whatever reason, I need to access a hidden file via Finder (OS X), I’ll just pop into Terminal and show them, do whatever to my file, then hide them again. It’s super easy in 10.7 and 10.8:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then to turn it off again:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

In some cases you might need to relaunch Finder, which is as easy as holding Alt and right clicking on the Finder icon in the dock and hitting ‘Relaunch’.

Greysquirrel
    Participant

If you’re a Mac user google TinkerTool. It’s a free application which can reveal hidden files with a couple of mouse clicks. And it’s not scary like the Terminal (though it might just be me that thinks that).

Carol
    Participant

I Am a Mac user. Using Macbook pro from last 9 Months. I am not technical as I dont know Many commands, Even though I always wanted to any software that is able to show hidden files mac os x. Toggle without terminal can be done with few applications that are available online.

nixnerd
    Participant

What do you mean by hidden files?

…Said every non-Linux user ever. Juuuuuust kidding @chrisburton.

From the terminal just type ls -la .

Alen
    Participant

If you want to see hidden files without using terminal (in the Finder)

Open up the terminal and enter following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

then enter:

killAll Finder

To do the opposite enter FALSE in the first command.

ETA: @TheDoc mentioned this already.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.