Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design How to pick many distinct colors that need to live next to eachother

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jgonyer1
    Participant

The project I’m currently working on is a dashboard of sorts, home to all the tools my company’s clients have access to. Because we don’t have an art department, my idea was to use a simple square icon with a solid background color and white icon. I’ve come up with about 9 colors that look good on the web, look good sitting next to each other, and are separate enough from each other so as to be obviously separate.

Unfortunately, I need 3-4 more. And that’s not including whatever other products the higher-ups come up with.

My question, is there a quick way, maybe some set intervals around a color wheel or between rgb values, to get colors like this?

An example would be the colors for the css-tricks navigation tabs. Could a set of colors in that vein be created to a larger size with minimal thought?

tl;dr: How can I come up with a large group of clearly distinct colors that look good when laid next to each other?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Setting regular intervals around the whole of the color wheel doesn’t take account of the fact that the human eye can distinguish reddish colors better than greens. But why not blend some of the colors you already have? There are tools for colorblending, and colorscheming. Eric Meyers colorblender, is a classic in all it’s simplicity. Most colorscheme web-apps require a bit more dedication, maybe more then what you are willing to put in to this, but I can put in some links for those as well, would you appreciate this.

chrisburton
    Participant

I like Kuler.

nixnerd
    Participant

Another free tool is Color Scheme Designer. Sometimes it’s a pain because it won’t accept the hash sign on hex values… so you have to delete that.

I pay a LOT of attention to color. It’s a real big deal for me. I’m still working on designing a color scheme for my terminal emulator.

Anyway, there are several ways you can group or “match” colors together. Mono, triad, analogous, etc. Now, I’ve seen some REALLY nice color schemes that kind of mix and match these schemes. OBVIOUSLY within reason. Don’t go too crazy or it will look like garbage. However, that’s the trick… it requires finesse.

chrisburton
    Participant

Color scheme designer is also pretty good. I forgot about that one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.