Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How to build a CMS

• # January 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I always get people asking me how to build a CMS, so I’ve written a tutorial about it, here is the link: http://bit.ly/4JcbQt – what do you think?

# January 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I think so far it’s pretty good. Honestly I’ve been wanting to build a lite CMS since I’ve felt like none of the lite CMS’s are actually that easy to use or user friendly (for an average client that is). I’m interested to see the additional parts :)

# January 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Glad you like it, I’m writing the others now and they should be live on Saturday :)

# January 9, 2010 at 12:44 am

It looks like you put a lot of time into that.

"xheathen" wrote:
    Honestly I’ve been wanting to build a lite CMS since I’ve felt like none of the lite CMS’s are actually that easy to use or user friendly (for an average client that is).

Do you know how many CMS’s are out there? If nothing else, I’m sure it’s a great learning experience to build a CMS, though.

# January 9, 2010 at 6:28 am

Right the next part is up now: http://bit.ly/6ZHSE8

# January 9, 2010 at 3:18 pm
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    Do you know how many CMS’s are out there? If nothing else, I’m sure it’s a great learning experience to build a CMS, though.

Yeah, I’ve looked at some many my eyes want to bleed :) Out of the major ones, I only consider using WP and CMS Made Simple. Maybe one day I’ll get proficient enough in Drupal to use that instead of CMSMS, but for now the former is so easy to use for basic CMS’s it should be illegal :P

As for the lite CMS’s… I’ve looked at every one I can get my hands on. Including all the ones mentioned in Chris’s post about lite cms’s AND all the people who left comments mentioning others. The one I like the best is page lime, but I still don’t like going through another site to log in (my clients get confused by the duality).

The issue that I’ve had with many CMS’s is that they almost all appear to either not make sense or lack the functionality I’m looking for to quickly integrate. Most of the lite CMS’s are just confusing for first time users who are not that computer savvy. The other feature that 75% of my clients ask for is the ability to easily add a user, and define what pages that specific user can see. Not edit, just see. So you have a public view, members view, and a user specific view. These all tie into the dynamic menu, so depending on who you are, you see different options. So when you create a page, you just define who sees it (public, or member, or member + public, or jim, bob, alexis, etc)

There are plugins that kind of do the job, but I haven’t seen anything yet that just simply works that way. I’ve ended up creating some customizations to allow it to work that way. That’s why I’m thinking of making something that’s kind of a hybrid between lite and a larger CMS like WP.

# January 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Tutorial looks great so far! With this being the fourth CMS tutorial that I have read, a lot of things are the same, but even more are different, and I think that this is the one that I would choose over the other ones!

# January 14, 2010 at 8:32 pm

personally I just make wordpress work for me.

# January 22, 2010 at 6:32 pm
    "kb2tfa" wrote:
    personally I just make wordpress work for me.

Show off :)

# February 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Overall the tutorial looks good. I think I’m going to try it out step by step ;)

Good Job!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".