Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How to better your SEO

• # July 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hey,

I have a client who wants me to make roughly 585-630 pages for his website. And this is just one part of the website. I think it is completely pointless, and will cause people to turn away from the website because of the amount of clicks it takes to utilize this feature.

I am not the original creator of the website, but I was told to do it like this. He basically wants me to make 585 different pages that all basically say the same thing. I was wondering if this will help your SEO a little, a lot, or at all. I can think of multiple other ways to make it more efficient, but this is what he wants. Check out the part of the site I have to do [here](http://2niceguys.com/pest-control-service-in-missouri “here”) and tell me what you think. Note though that only St. Louis, St. Charles, and Jefferson are view-able. I have to change all of them because he wants them different and every page to say something completely different.

# July 13, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Why do you need to create that many pages? Why not have the text change the county name and other content depending on what county has been clicked?

# July 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm

>Why do you need to create that many pages?

Not his choice…he’s made that clear…it’s a client requirement.

Right or wrong…what the client insists on…they get.

# July 14, 2013 at 4:10 am

As we all know “client is always right”. But you have to talk to your client and tell him all aspects of SEO.
    After that you have to convince him to make site that is good for SEO as well as for his business and [enhance customer experience](http://www.clicktale.com/products/enterprise “enhance customer experience”).
    Hope this work!

# July 14, 2013 at 4:52 am

..but that still doesn’t answer the OP’s question.

Assuming the the client is insistent (albeit misguided), and the pages have to be the way he wants…how does it affect SEO.

I suspect that it will make very little difference because of the repetitive nature of the pages…but I’m no SEO expert.

# July 14, 2013 at 7:07 am

I’m no SEO expert either but I’ve read an article recently (sadly forgot where) that stated search engines check for repetitive parts of pages. Content on two or more pages that is about equal (headers, footers etc.) is not considered main content, only unique content is.

According to this, having so much repetition would harm SEO.

# July 14, 2013 at 7:27 am

Duplicate content found by search engine robots and spiders over many pages is never a good thing for SEO and can definitely harm your position in organic search. I was faced with it about 4 years ago redoing someone else’s site.

# July 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm

>Not his choice…he’s made that clear…it’s a client requirement.

From what you wrote he wanted pages for every county, that can be done without needing to create a physically different page for every county. And hence with far less work required.

>Right or wrong…what the client insists on…they get.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. They may not know of all the different options available, or of what the pros and cons are. Our job is to educate clients as much as doing what they ask.

>Assuming the the client is insistent (albeit misguided), and the pages have to be the way he wants…how does it affect SEO.

I can tell you that for this type of situation, you’re going to get as many differing opinions as there are SEO “experts”. If it was so black and white there’d be no debate in the SEO world, and Google’s algorithm would not be a secret. ;)

The best answer I can give is that having so many pages with content so similar can’t be a good thing. It may make no difference, but I can’t see it making a positive difference. Now if the client decided to have a copywriter write unique content for each page, different story.

# July 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm

The typical rule of thumb is 30%. If you want to have two pages with roughly the same content but target two different keyword strings (ie css new york and css los angeles) the content on the pages have to be at least 30% different to not get flagged as duplicate content.

That being said, every single on of those pages would need to be at 30% different from every other one of those pages so, yeah, pretty happy this isn’t my project :).

One final note, Google is getting smarter every day, and that 30% “rule”, which has little to no evidence backing it up, could changed tomorrow. by the time I post this google may re-tweaked the algorithm and now its 40% or 20%, who knows. There’s also the possibility that google will just get fed up with all of us doing location based pages and start docking people for targeting too many places. Just keep in mind, and inform the client, that he will have a continual investment of keep all of these pages up to date, or risk getting nuked when Google makes a change.

# July 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thank you everyone for commenting.

Everything found in the St. Charles county, and Jefferson County will be changed along with most of St. Louis. Previously, his son just told me to copy & paste the already made pages and change a few words on them to relate to the county they were being made for. Now, he wants me to go in and research the type of pest he takes care of like termites, bedbugs, hornets, etc. Thus, he wants me to create about 585+ pages that are ALL different.

Example: All counties have a termites page. Seeing how they’re 19 counties in St. Louis I will need to make 19 termite pages. He wants all of these 19 pages to say pretty much the same thing, but written differently. I’m no professional website designer and definitely not a SEO expert. This is requiring me to use creative writing, web researching, and then some website designing. Do you think this is a job for a website designer, or for someone like deeve007 said.. “have a copywriter write unique content for each page.”

Also, another question I have. What would you charge for this entire project? If you understand what needs to be done, what would you charged based on all of the information I provided. Currently, he is paying me $10 an hour. This project is going to take well over 80 hours, and roughly 55-65 hours just for the St. Louis county.

# July 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

That sounds like copywriting rather than web designer/developer; better to go with someone who’s focused more on writing/researching for that.

As for the payment, that probably depends a lot on the area, etc. Personally, $10/hour seems quite little, but that’s comparing it to where I’m from, and including taxes/etc. Also a bit depending on if this is something you are expected to live on, or if it’s closer to supplementing other things, and also how experienced you are.

# July 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm

The funny part about this is they are doing it for SEO, but the site has none of the basics down.

The only H1 on every single page of the site is the same “Speak With Us”.

# July 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Scott, do you know where I could read on how to better your SEO? I am an ameatur website designer, and I have never really used much SEO. I am just following what the client is asking for.

# July 14, 2013 at 10:06 pm

> That sounds like copywriting rather than web designer/developer; better to go with someone who’s focused more on writing/researching for that.

What kind of person do you think my boss should hire to do a lot of creative writing who does this stuff professionally?

# July 14, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re asking for, since to me the obvious answer would probably be a copywriter. Maybe someone with marketing background.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".