Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How OCD Are You?

• # December 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m sorry, but this joke made me laugh and then cry a little since it did make me cringe.

http://xkcd.com/1144/

The tooltip is what really drives me nuts. Darn  . Anyone else find things like that too annoying to pass up when modifying someone elses code? I find myself redoing tag indentation and other minor cleanups before I ever get started.

# December 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm

@pmac627 : That picture is just sitting there… Cant click it, cant make changes, it just sits there and laughs at us.

The thing i hate most about messing with other peoples code will have to be the super awesome navigation spacing technique.

Beware : Only for experts

<ul>
    <li style="float:left">Home&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ||
    <li style="float:left">About Me&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ||
    <li style="float:left">Contact&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ||
    <li style="float:left">Range&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ||
    </ul>
    # December 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

@pmac627

Haha, I have a very specific way of coding and I need it to be indented correctly etc.

Another pet annoyance of mine is CSS like

div#header {
    }

span.pink-text {
    }

# December 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

@Watson90 : Yeah man, when developing im ok with those especially if they are important componenets but after dev, theres no reason for empty tags like that…

This one may be weird but i CANNOT stand using CSS and spacing between words.. meaning…
    This i am ok with

margin:0 auto;

This i am NOT ok with

margin:  0 auto; 
    # December 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

@JohnMotylJr – regarding your CSS spacing, I am the opposite.

I prefer to have it like this:

.main-content {
    width: 80%;
    margin: 30px auto auto;
    }

# December 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm

What do you think about auto complete in text editors? I hate it lol… It will slow me down lol..

# December 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Yeah, that’s something that can benefit me the odd time or really annoy me the next.

With Sublime Text 2, I love the shortcuts, like h1 and tab gives you quick h1 tags to write in between.

But then writing brackets or speech marks, it tends to make me annoyed rather than help!

# December 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

@JohnMotylJr – ill admit. I remember when i used &nbsp; like that. Ever look over code from even a year ago and go “WTF?!? What was I thinkin’?!?”

Do you guys need to specify 0px rather than 0?
    Ex: margin: 0px auto;

# December 8, 2012 at 2:22 am

@pmac627, I went through a phase where I was added px to the 0 elements such as:

padding: 0px 0px 20px 0px;

But then I started to realise it’s just unnecessary haha.

# December 8, 2012 at 4:11 am

@pmac627 : Yeah man, i did that the other day too… Looked at my first website every and wondered what the hell was i thinking lol..

And i never use “px” when the value is 0.

# December 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

My CSS is formatted like so

.my-class {
    width: 100%;
    margin: 1em 0;

color: #333;
    background: #FEFEFE;

}

I do it line-by-line for readability and sometimes if it has a lot of rules I break them up into sections like in the example. Also I always semi-colon my last line in case I need to add a rule later and forget.

# December 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

What bothers me most about the comic is the mismatched case (``) in the tooltip.

# December 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I always have the last semi-colon… but that’s more a habit from C++ & PHP errors. I need the spaces in there, like margin: 0px;. Also, I cannot let 3-digit hex codes slide or lowercase hex codes. #fff and #34a3e6 drives me NUTS.

I can’t stand auto-complete. I had a coworker mock me for months because I used Notepad++ over Dreamweaver. It stopped when I completed a project in half the time it took them and it validated cleanly the first time (that matters a lot to my boss). Auto-complete tends to spoil developers (IMO), but if used correctly and used only once the developer has a very strong grasp of the language they are using, it can be very helpful. I just agree with that rule of not letting kids use calculators in school until they can do it by hand in their sleep.

# December 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I can deal with 3 character hex codes but lower-case annoys me too.

I resisted using auto-complete for the same reason – but having it around can really speed things up, especially one that doesn’t always have a distracting drop-down list.

Something interesting pointed out to me recently was that when syntax-highlighting came out, people said similar things.

# December 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hey guys! You know it’s really CDO, right? I mean, that’s in alphabetical order!

I have a friend that calls it OCO, Obsessive Compulsive Order. His logic is that everything has to be in perfect order, not disorder, like everyone else calls it. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".