Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How much would you charge for the following app

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JamesBarnsley
    Participant

How much would you charge for the app I have created, as a fixed fee.

http://www.jamesbarnsley.com/showcase/TTA/index.php?r=user/signin

Login details …

email: [email protected]
    password: znrab

I am not looking for a advise on the app because it is not finished yet. Just a figure will do, in pounds or dollars.

TheDoc

Unfortunately, there are so many other similar services out there, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone switching over. Look at Freshbooks, for example, the reason they have such a strong user base is because they offer a free model as well.

I would say if your app were to succeed it would need to have a similar model.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Ahh sorry, you have hit on a few points which I like. My idea was to create a monthly subscription app. But I am NOT using that application for it.

I am just asking how much you would charge (fixed fee) to create an application exactly the same as that for a client.

TheDoc

Ahhhh, a very different question indeed!

The answer is simple, but not one that you’ll probably like to hear:

(Projected Hours x Hourly Wage) + (Contingency Hours x Hourly Wage) = Project Cost

These numbers will be easy to nail down once you have a few projects under your belt.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Yes well it took me around 40 hours, so if I do (40 X £30) then its £1200.

Does that sound like an accurate figure to you? Would someone really pay that for the app?

TheDoc

£30 seems like it might be slightly high for somebody that has nothing in his portfolio ;)

People pay far more than £1200 for a lot less. It all depends on the quality.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

£30 was only an example.

I could lower that to £10 thus making it £400.

But you said “People pay far more than £1200 for a lot less. It all depends on the quality.” so maybe there is not just one factor involved like you say.

I am currently doing something slightly larger for a client and he is paying me £400, it will equate to around £5 an hour I am getting paid, which is not a great deal. But hey, it builds up my portfolio.

TheDoc

It’s projects like that that help you build better quotes in the future. Eventually you’ll find your sweet spot.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Thanks, originally I thought I was degrading myself. But now you have said that I feel better.

sliver37

Yeah don’t worry too much about the money when first starting, just make sure you don’t allow people to take advantage of you, £5 is cheap for your skillset, this isn’t something anyone can do always remember that.

Make sure you state why it’s cheap,”portfolio building” and also state your prices will rise in the future. One of my clients still expects free stuff.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Thanks

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Ahh thanks, yeah there are a few bugs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.