Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How many people in here run Linux?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

hmm – too bad. Are you using pulseaudio? I’ve read all-over that a lot of people solve their sound problems by ditching pulseaudio entirely and falling back on ALSA (which is _not_ what worked in my case). My sound card problems disappeared after I purged+re-installed pulseaudio.

I don’t know if that’s _why_, but it happened in that order, at least. : )

Alen
    Participant

Didn’t really try fixing it yet, been busy. It sucks that the OS can’t auto-magically detect the output.

__
    Participant

Yeah, but the things that work out-of-the-box (at least for me) have **far** outnumbered the things I have to tinker at.

Alen
    Participant

Oh def. I just want to watch my movies on my 50″ plasma, with sound preferably :)

__
    Participant

…do subtitles work?
    : p

__
    Participant

Speaking of “vague ideas,” I’ve been thinking for some time about setting up a dedicated dev server, but also using it as a local name server – that way, I could have dynamic dev sites (basically, anything in the “dev_sites/” folder would be accessible at `http://{subfolder_name}.dev`) and then any request not matched gets sent off to the big ol’ internet.

Alen
    Participant

@traq, I’ve been thinking about the same thing for my media server. Turn it into dev/domain server.

__
    Participant

I know it can be done; I just don’t have the time+motivation to actually do it…

: )

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m struggling to understand what you’re all talking about but it sounds so interesting. Carry on.

Alen
    Participant

@chrisburton, Ubuntu server in headless mode (managed via SSH) serving as a file, domain and development server. File Server – You can map out all your paths, so you’re working “remotely” on your LAN. Files reside on the server. Domain Server – The way DNS works is it will look for any domain that needs to resolve locally before it goes out to other domain name servers. So if you name your server “celinedion” then entering `http://celinedion/` in your browser would resolve to whatever Apache is serving. Development Server – You would install all your development dependencies (Node, PHP, Python, Ruby, MySQL, phpMyAdmin… etc. and use them via SSH.

But as @traq, my issue is it’s time consuming…

chrisburton
    Participant

@alenabdula Yeah, you had to bring up Celine Dion, didn’t you.

Thanks for the explanation ;)

Alen
    Participant

Reporting back…

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

Solved the audio problem. Now I can successfully change audio output interface. After installation in terminal run…

pavucontrol

Done!

Alen
    Participant

@traq Ouch! :(

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.