Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How many people in here run Linux?

• # May 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm

@traq, before I settled on Mint, I used to continuously install/uninstall different distributions of Linux. Now, I can actually focus on doing some work :)

I’ve used it since it came out. Not one issue yet. (I hope I don’t jinx myself)

# May 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I have Windows at work for IE testing and also to be able to open our designer’s PSDs. I really don’t do any kind of graphical design personally, so I don’t have need for Photoshop outside of that particular usecase.

NIX
    # May 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I just use Sauce Labs for testing.

See, I started as a designer so I can’t live without CS.

I would literally never boot to Windows again were it not for CS.

# May 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm

> See, I started as a designer so I can’t live without CS.

I still use my desktop workstation with Windows 7 for graphics and photography work. Then I move from that environment to development in Linux. I like to separate the two as it makes more sense to get in the right “mode”.

NIX
    # May 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

@AlenAbdula Ha ha ha! Never thought of it that way! I guess I could see that!

# May 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm

> I would literally never boot to Windows again were it not for CS.

You’ll find that you’ll need Windows/Mac no matter what. Linux as a desktop environment is still behind and lacks support for many applications for business. Like, Quickbooks, etc…

NIX
    # May 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Nahhhh, I’ll just hire an accountant. I hate going through receipts anyway.

# May 22, 2013 at 6:40 pm

> Nahhhh, I’ll just hire an accountant. I hate going through receipts anyway.

How are you going to track orders, gather reports, print receipts and other depressing things?
    When setting up my books and when my taxes are due, and on rare occasion when I need to make account changes… is the only time I call my accountant.

# May 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm

> How are you going to track orders, gather reports, print receipts and other depressing things?

Write a web app for it

NIX
    # May 22, 2013 at 7:04 pm

+1 for @traq.

# May 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

> Write a web app for it

That’s an option for sure. But I would imagine for any freelance/startup/small size business that would take up a lot of time and resources.

NIX
    # May 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm

For me personally, I would do almost anything to stay in Linux permanently.

# May 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

> For me personally, I would do almost anything to stay in Linux permanently.

Even if it’s detrimental to your business? To me it’s a tool, I’m not going to fight with it… I’ll just find a tool that works better.

One day, I hope to move everything to Linux, but I’m not going to kid myself as of today. I much rather solve problems that make me money…

# May 23, 2013 at 2:29 am

@AlenAbdula Well, if everyone reasons that way (“I’ll wait until it has before I switch”), it never will, because then no one is actually creating the thing that you need! =)

It’s very possible that I’ve never had issues because I haven’t had to deal with the areas where there is a lack of programs for Linux, but outside of CS and IE (and the occasional game, but I’m not much of a gamer, so that’s fine) I rarely have issues getting what I need.

NIX
    # May 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

Maybe we should start a wiki project to build a super awesome open source business software suite.

I guarantee with all the talent out there and the massive need, it would be done in a year.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".