Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How many people in here run Linux?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

> I still feel GIMP is awkward…

I understand what you mean. But it really is very capable. But for logos (if you mainly mean vector drawings), try Inkscape instead.

Alen
    Participant

> try Inkscape instead.

Just got it up and running, initial impression… very curious. Thanks.

__
    Participant

+1!

WINE isn’t really that great. VMs FTW. Now, all I need is a few extra cores… : )

__
    Participant

yes; RAM too. Maybe 128GB would be nice… :p

macharborguy
    Participant

Debian on my raspberry pi for small projects, website testing and prototyping. I haven’t made a switch over to Linux as my desktop system yet, but thats mainly because I dont have room to put a “real” Linux PC (as much as I love the Pi, it doesnt have the performance i would require. the Udoo on Kickstarter, however, may turn out different). Plus I have a dedicated gaming/live streaming Windows 7 PC and a Mac connected to a KVM/usb switch and multiple monitors.

However, once I have room to put it in, a Linux box will become the next addition to my computer center. (my KVM switch supports up to 4 devices, so I’m thinking Win7PC + Mac + Debian + Udoo (or a MiiPC, another kickstarter project i am backing))

DrCLue

All our machines run one version of Linux or another, with my personal machine (about the size of a pack of cigarettes ) , running the Ubuntu flavor.

Gave up on Uncle Bill’s stuff entirely about a decade ago and have not regretted the switch at all.

__
    Participant

> All our machines run one version of Linux or another…

not sure what you mean by that.

__
    Participant

First post from **Mint**! : p

Alen
    Participant

@traq, you running the new release “Olivia”?

__
    Participant

yes, with cinnamon. installation (+LAMP,git,komodo) was a breeze. I’m liking it so far. Only problem is the workspace switcher is triggered when you mouse to the top left corner. I keep switching by mistake. :)

Alen
    Participant

> workspace switcher is triggered when you mouse to the top left corner

I’m used to that by now. :)

I need to upgrade, I’m still on Nadia, using Cinnamon.

Alen
    Participant

@Melindrea

Ubuntu server.

__
    Participant

###omfg…

>_”When you extend to the right, it can be done within windows disk management. But if you need to extend your partition to the left…”_
    [link](http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5377-extending-volumes-windows-8-a.html#post_80252)

I got a new laptop with Windows 8. I’m keeping it, but dual-booting to mint. Today, I found out that the above quote is **literally true** – i.e., if the unallocated space is _to the right_ of the partition you’re expanding (“after” it, reading ltr) it works; if it’s _to the left_ (“before” the new partition), you’re SOL.

WTH??? How do you even _manage_ to write software so dumb?

######_EDIT_
    >My old stationary is being delegated to a development server where both I and my partner should be able to SSH (possibly remote desktop as well) in to work on various things. I know Ubuntu the best – would another distro do better for some reason?

@Melindrea
    – I second Ubuntu server. I’m running one now for a client, and I like it.

However, [read this](http://askubuntu.com/questions/79599/remote-desktop-for-ubuntu-server-requires-installing-the-desktop-distro#answer-79607) if “programs with a GUI” are the only reason for wanting a remote desktop. It’s faster.

__
    Participant

compared to gnome what? cinnamon is a fork of gnome.

I like it. It’s unobtrusive (which is, I think, one of the best things you can say about a desktop). It feels very “smooth.”

I particularly like the settings editor and panel; I have also noticed that I like the Nemo file browser better than Nautilus. I don’t care for the “Desklets,” but that’s just because I don’t care for the idea in general.

So far (as you can see from above), all my troubles right now are stemming from Win8. The new UEFI crap makes setting up a dual-boot (without completely breaking Windows’ MBR, which I’ve done four times now) a pain in the butt. Plus I had a minor issue with the sound card disappearing, but that resolved itself somehow.

: )

######_EDIT_

One thing I _do not_ care for is the software manager (MintInstall). It seems unreasonably slow and clunky. That’s largely a non-issue though, since I mostly use `apt-get`.

Alen
    Participant

I’ve recently upgraded my Maja Mint release with the latest of Olivia, and it’s been buggy. Notifications would not disappear, and I can not change the audio output to HDMI anymore. Might roll back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.