Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How many people in here run Linux?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

If so, what distro?

I’m really not partial, I’m just curious.

I run Fedora 18, ran Ubuntu for about 3 years.

__
    Participant

Ubuntu at home; plus I manage a server running CentOS.

I converted after re-installing WinXP started to be a bi-monthly “thing.”

__
    Participant

mainly so I actually have a Windows somewhere, if I need it.

that’s what my wife’s netbook is for : )

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I had a little home server running Ubuntu (Hardy Heron as well) as webserver, cs1.6 server and media/torrent server (and because I needed it for some study related exercises), but I never hooked it up again after moving. I should hook it up someday again, for fun :)

Rohithzr
    Participant

Well I am not a professional like others but I have running Backtrack for over a year now and started using Ubuntu a couple of month ago.

nixnerd
    Participant

Wow, mostly Ubuntu huh? Nice.

I’m guessing the only reason anyone keeps Windows is for Adobe Creative Suite. Am I right?

Alen
    Participant

Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” here.

__
    Participant

I’m guessing the only reason anyone keeps Windows is for Adobe Creative Suite. Am I right?
    @Joe_Temp

Nope; all I need it for is IE testing. I still have Corel, but for graphics I mostly use Inkscape + GIMP nowadays. To be fair, while I *do* graphic design work, I’m more of a programmer overall.

Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” here.
    @AlenAbdula

I’m thinking Mint will be the next distro I try. You like it?

Alen
    Participant

@traq, before I settled on Mint, I used to continuously install/uninstall different distributions of Linux. Now, I can actually focus on doing some work :)

I’ve used it since it came out. Not one issue yet. (I hope I don’t jinx myself)

Alen
    Participant

> See, I started as a designer so I can’t live without CS.

I still use my desktop workstation with Windows 7 for graphics and photography work. Then I move from that environment to development in Linux. I like to separate the two as it makes more sense to get in the right “mode”.

Alen
    Participant

> I would literally never boot to Windows again were it not for CS.

You’ll find that you’ll need Windows/Mac no matter what. Linux as a desktop environment is still behind and lacks support for many applications for business. Like, Quickbooks, etc…

Alen
    Participant

> Nahhhh, I’ll just hire an accountant. I hate going through receipts anyway.

How are you going to track orders, gather reports, print receipts and other depressing things?
    When setting up my books and when my taxes are due, and on rare occasion when I need to make account changes… is the only time I call my accountant.

__
    Participant

> How are you going to track orders, gather reports, print receipts and other depressing things?

Write a web app for it

Alen
    Participant

> Write a web app for it

That’s an option for sure. But I would imagine for any freelance/startup/small size business that would take up a lot of time and resources.

Alen
    Participant

> For me personally, I would do almost anything to stay in Linux permanently.

Even if it’s detrimental to your business? To me it’s a tool, I’m not going to fight with it… I’ll just find a tool that works better.

One day, I hope to move everything to Linux, but I’m not going to kid myself as of today. I much rather solve problems that make me money…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.