Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do you include more advanced languages into your Web Development? (ie. Python, Java, C++, etc.)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

I’ve been a web developer for a couple years now. I think I know about as much HTML and CSS as I’ll ever need to know. At least for a while. I know there are always more CSS and HTML developments. And my Javascript is passable, I always find a way to do what I need. Same with PHP.

But now I want to look into more advanced things, like Python, Java, or C++. How do you have these technologies interact with a website? What are things done with them? Any standards uses?

Any info would be helpful before I start going on a Google-spree.

TheDoc

I would suggest that it’s probably better to become completely comfortable in PHP or JS before venturing elsewhere unless you have a specific goal in mind.

Chandra

PHP is very great.

Senff
    Participant

I think I know about as much HTML and CSS as I’ll ever need to know

This is a pretty bold statement (even when you consider “at least for a while”). :)

noahgelman
    Participant

@TheDoc, I’m still learning, but I’d like to broaden my learning by at least being farmiliar with other technologies.

@Chandra
    , I know (even though PHP has some issues).

@Senff
    , I only say that because I can HTML/CSS pretty much any site that I need to at work. There is always little CSS things I discover from time to time and of course there’s the new HTML5 elements that I’m still learning.

TheDoc

I guess my point is… why bother knowing a tiny bit of a lot of languages/technologies when you can master a few that can get the majority of things done. Unless you plan on building apps, there’s no need to venture into the territories that you mentioned above, *especially* if you haven’t mastered simple programming languages like PHP and JS.

noahgelman
    Participant

It’s not necessarily so I can build stand alone projects on my own. It’s so I can be familiar with other peoples code and communicate properly with those who right them when our goals overlap.

gurujust1n

Unless you want to venture into software programming, I would just stick with languages that help you build amazing websites. In my opinion, stick with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Django, things like that.

pmac627
    Participant

Focus on PHP, JS, CSS, SQL and HTML. Thats all you need for just about anything spectacular on the web these days. And if you can write/read those inside and out, picking up a new language doesn’t take as long. You’ll have the concepts down, just some syntax studying and some practice.

dfogge
    Participant

speaking purely in relation to web development, instead of learning entirely new languages why not get better than passable with javascript?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.