Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do YOU determine versions for your code?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JohnMotylJr
    Participant

When you guys are working on code for some time whether it be a website, some jquery, php etc.. And you keep improving on your code how do you version your code (personal methods).

I actually start my Software Development and Life Cycles class tonight but this is something im curious about and being the main target audience on css-tricks is web developers, i value any and all input.

TheDoc

Instead of using a folder system which could possibly quickly get out of hand, why don’t you try using something like GitHub?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@TheDoc,
    I had changed the OP but as far as using a repository goes I have never really investigated it. I have a jQuery snippets folder on my desktop with over a few hundred js files lol. So i can understand the getting out of control.

I would assume many web developer / programmers use these types of repositories to save and/or share code?

TheDoc

Ooohhh so you’re more talking about on a project to project basis? I thought you were talking about working on a specific theme, plugin, etc.

I have a bunch of bookmarks to repositories that I use often, always making sure to use the latest versions with each new project.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I will have to check out this repository thing. I hear about it all the time but never made the plunge.

I like IDE’s for programming but if im working on a website (html, css, js) than a good ol light weight text editor is all i want. I know sublime has a folder system which is pretty convenient. I guess im just looking for some sort of structural advice on how people set up there project files for websites. And how to maintain the project folders.

I have heard of using a SVN i believe, aka tortoise which allows the developer to work on something, update in real time and be able to go back to older versions since starting the project.

And in regards to my original post ( wondering about how to create different versions for your code ), i found this about how to determine versions.

0 for alpha (status)
    1 for beta (status)
    2 for release candidate
    3 for (final) release

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

TheDoc

Aaahhhh I generally don’t keep an alpha version of a project around.

Generally I’ll commit a beta through Git (we use GitHub to manage everything) which we start with a version of 0.0.1. We go through iterations of the beta until final release. When the final release is committed it gets v1.0.0.

I’m not sure I’d be doing any of that without a proper versioning system in place. The thought of maintaining multiple folders is unbelievably daunting.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

You speak the truth. I’m gonna check out GitHub, i just never have before due to everything i had worked on was so small in scale but i’m starting to get into larger more demanding projects.

Thanks for your input @TheDoc.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@andy_unleash,

Thanks for the reference. Im getting closer and closer to our graduation project and a system to start storing and retrieving work will be super awesome. Along with a git i was looking at having a SVN.

Any experience with SVNs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.