Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End how can I add a span to wp_nav_menu in wordpress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    croydon86
    Participant

I have a dynamic menu in wordpress using wp_nav_menu, however I would like to add a span to just one of the list items.

I will demonstrate this in static HTML to show you what I would like to achieve.

I currently have this…

[Test][1]

…but would like to achieve this…

[Test<span>(icon)</span>][1]

Is there anyway to do this dynamically?

I would like to avoid using javascript if possible and stick to PHP.

Thanks in advance

chrisburton
    Participant

Not sure if you can do that without hard coding the menu or using jQuery.

DesjardinsM

I’m not much of an expert on this, but maybe it would be possible using the [link_after parameter](http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_nav_menu). If I’m reading that right, it would work like an :after, meaning it is still inside the link. I’m not sure how well it would apply for you, but it might be worth testing.

chrisburton
    Participant

Or you can use :after with css

DesjardinsM

I was thinking that but it is likely that each link would need a different icon, wouldn’t it? But now I realize that would make my suggestion of the php parameter useless anyways.

chrisburton
    Participant

He stated only one list item would need an icon which would still work if the list items have unique class names.

DesjardinsM

Ah ok, it would probably be easier for css :after then. Easier selection. I should probably pay more attention to the question itself x.x

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree but it certainly depends on the browser support that is needed. Hopefully nothing too low for IE.

croydon86
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Yes :after would work, but I opted to go for jquery in the end due to browser support. (Even though I was planning on avoiding this). Simply appending a span tag after the specific class name seems to do the trick.

dclardy

Just add it in the menu tool for the theme. Go to Appearance -> Menus.

Add a custom menu item. Label it what you want and your span after the Label you give it.

So the URL would be http://example.com/some_link.
    Label would be Awesome WordPress Thing Icon

Then do your stuff in CSS to get the icon there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.