Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How big is your typical website?

• # September 10, 2008 at 12:26 am

Hey fellow designers,

How big is your typical website in terms of megabytes (or kilobytes). Do you have lot of top level folders/directories or do you prefer nested folder/directories to stuff everything in? How many levels do you go generally? How do you decide on it? Do you decide on it or does it just keep evolving? Do you take any corrective action if it keeps evolving?

I am looking to get a general picture of site management here as practiced by designers, so if you have any other input, that would be great too!

# September 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I just did a full backup of our website at Chatman Design and it was about 100MB for all the files. That includes all the files from the last two times we completely redesigned and god knows what all other cruft that was sitting in there (some random wordpress install, for example). I think generally the "total size" of websites is fairly small, unless the site is heavily based on multimedia (lots of photos or video or music).

Does the size of the databases come into play in the information you are gathering? I just backed up the Forums database here and it was about 30MB, which I’m sure is 10x bigger than the actual files on the server.

As far as folder organization, lately I’ve been all about subdirectories. Even if I just have a static site and I need a contact page, rather than creating a contact.php file, I’ll make a subdirectory called "contact" and chuck an index.php file in there. Keeps the URLs nice and clean and then if that section ever expands, all the related stuff has a nice home already instead of cluttering up my root.

# September 21, 2008 at 5:33 am

I think a normal website can be arround a couple of mb’s. It depends the most on how you compress your images and how many scripts you use. I often make a directory ‘design’ for the graphics and css and a folder ‘javascript’ or something like that for the scripts. Also depends ofcourse on how many data you’ve got. 30mb is really a lot, but it can go fast indeed…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".