Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Hosting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    med

Hi,

I’m going to be starting an open project soon (unrelated to web designing) and really need a good stable place to host videos.I saw that your videos were being loaded from ign’s servers – is that the free hosting they offer to certain sites? I’m just wondering whether I should submit a proposal to them sometime in the near future.

Thanks.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Someone from IGN offered to host the files for free for me, which was super super nice and I took them up on the offer. I’m not sure whom they extend the offer to, or how that works. I would think a proposal would be smart. Before my videos were on IGN, I was using Amazon S3:

https://css-tricks.com/how-to-set-up-and … e-service/

It worked great, but even with the modest number of subscribers to the video casts, it was getting very expensive for me.

med

yeah I’ve had a look at S3, but I’ll be expecting quite a bit of traffic hopefully and that would make it quite expensive. I think I’ll send a message to ign later on :)

med

I need the videos to be playing at their best quality. I was going to use Divx and host them on Stage6, as that would have been the best option, however since they have shut down, I’m having to look elsewhere. Youtube and Google compress the videos too much.

med

That’s an interesting option, I will look into it further. But I’m not sure if I can embed my videos into my website with the urls they have. I think I’ll use it to allow the user to download the files from. But I still need another host so I can embed them.

Thanks for the link!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.