Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Highlight nav links when scrolling the page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    blyk
    Participant

Hi,
    I have created a single page web templet where I am trying to hightlight the links depending on the section that I am viewing.

Here is the codepenlink: http://codepen.io/blyk/pen/JGtfd

I dont have any problem with this code by as you notice I have used mouseenter function to identify the divs’ id. It is some sort of hack or my stupidity :/

Actually I was trying to bring the same effect without this stupid hack so I was going throught various stackflow and other blogs to find out the answer but whatever I got has either long code which I cant understand becuase I am noob or used some sort of plugin.

I am using this hack becasue it used very less code but I want to learn real jquery code for this whic can do this using less code . pease help ! :) :)

thanks

Paulie_D

Frankly, it looks fine to me but I’m no JS/JQ expert.

What I like about it is that it’s easy to understand at a casual code inspection.

I cut and paste with the best of them.. :)

blyk
    Participant

Thanks Paulie_D :) and sorry I accidently clicked on Feature Bury I dont know what are these. I thought these are some sort of your website link :( .

clokey2k
    Participant

I agree with Paulie_D, I think this is an elegant solution of the problem.

The only challenge would on touch-screen devices or people who read with arrow keys and space-bar.

I would end up checking the position of the div‘s on every scroll event to see which div is above the window edge

See: http://codepen.io/clokey2k/pen/jgfFD

blyk
    Participant

Thanks clokey2k :) just one request. Would you comment the code for me to understand how it is working :) thanks again :)

clokey2k
    Participant

I have just saved a copy with comments. Hopefully my ramblings will make sense.

The general test is to see which div‘s have passed the top of the window. The assumption is that the last div to pass the top is the one you are reading.

Good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.