Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Hiding Source Code

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    alex_wilson
    Participant

Does anyone know of a good way to hide website source code?

TheDoc

If you aren worried about people stealing your code, don’t be. If the page can render, people can get the code.

Paulie_D

Yep, nothing you can do.

You can’t patent it and you can’t trademark it.

You can copyright the CONTENT but that’s it.

alex_wilson
    Participant

I’m not so worried about the stuff I coded, I’m more worried about the code I bought from developers who probably don’t want their code stolen. But, I figured that there wasn’t really an effective way to hide code. Thanks for the info!

chrisburton
    Participant

You can’t protect CSS or HTML. I do believe you can protect Javascript although I might be wrong. PHP you can definitely protect but that isn’t rendered for others to see unless you share it.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@alex_wilson, i believe in your situation (purchasing a plugin or some other code) you do get a license to use it. If someone wants to rip that, im sure it happens, but they wont have a license. Im sure you could always put a comment (or use original comment) in the code to possibly persuade those code thieves from using it.

There are so many open source options available for code these days that i’m sure someone who is too lazy to write their own code may be less inclined on stealing something else. I could be absolutely wrong.

alex_wilson
    Participant

I just looked and it appears that the developers protected their Javascript, or at least I can’t see it.

alex_wilson
    Participant

Nevermind, they didn’t.

alex_wilson
    Participant

I’ll write something nice in the code. :)

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Well when you bought it you were given a license file weren’t you?

alex_wilson
    Participant

I bought a Javascipt slider off of code canyon.And, I didn’t see a license file with the download, but there is a record of me buying it on code canyon.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I say you just implement the code man, you could always put a refrence in there saying:

/**
    * Javascript super duper slider
    * Author: Billybob @ http://www.codecanyon/billybob
    **/
    alex_wilson
    Participant

Yea, the developer already has something similar in his/her code.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I suggest you just stick with that code man. Here is a really cool podcast from ShopTalkShow.

http://shoptalkshow.com/episodes/039-rapidfire-10/

alex_wilson
    Participant

Thanks man!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.