Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS help with wrappers setting own width?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    expo703
    Participant

can someone take a look at http://www.worldtraveler.com the content_wrapper is like 1663×2440 and page wrapper are all messed up. I know there are a lot of things goin wrong here but would like to center all the content on the page

Paulie_D

There is no width set on #content-wrapper…so that might solve some problems.

I’m not sure why (Oh why) the #content-area is built with a a table but that will cause some issues too.

Without getting into it too much you seem to have divs assigned widths that do not relate to the #container width.

expo703
    Participant

I added a width to 980 but its still 2461 and the bottom scroll pops up seems like there is a lot of useless white space on the right side

Paulie_D

I have no idea where 2461 came from. i can see that it’s clearly 980px now.

As I mentioned, I suspect that the issue is that you have a layout using tables…they always mess things up.

Alen
    Participant

The issue is with the div with id of `blast` so `

` when I deleted this node from the dom it fixed the width issue.
    Paulie_D

Actually, I don’t think it will.

Look with Web inspector and select the div#content-wrapper…it clearly has elements that are overflowing.

I maintain it’s the table. :)

Alen
    Participant

This is what I see in the Google inspector.

Paulie_D

Yeah…but that’s still in the container (which, oddly, does not contain the whole page)…

no…this is what I am talking about.

Alen
    Participant

I think there are multiple issues here. The `#blast` div is causing the horizontal scrollbar. I’m guessing the `#content_wrapper` and `#content` have some margin/float issues.

Alen
    Participant

There’s also multiple syntax errors that might be causing issues. `` is being closed twice, line 81 & 108. Validator says “document type does not allow element ‘body’ here” for the `body` element, which could be causing all kinds of issues.

Paulie_D

The HTML structure is pretty bad TBH.

That #blast is absolutely positioned which (I will always maintain) is the last option one should use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.