Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Help with mobile-first CSS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yonikenneth

Hey guys,

Using the WordPress Bones starter theme, I’ve set up my Base CSS. Now I want to use the @media queries to style the various screen sizes (hiding elements on mobile devices ect…).

What’s the best way to accomplish this? Do I set up my mobile styles first after which I make “exceptions” for the larger resolutions? Or is there a more productive way?

I would like to hear your opinions, or if I’m maybe seeing this all in the wrong way?

Yonikenneth

@srig99 Thanks for the link but I’ve got all the media queries set up already.

Let me give you an example of what problems I’m facing:

The main menu items in the mobile version are 100% wide. Although on the larger resolutions the same menu items should have no width defined at all (just padding), so would the following be correct?

@media only screen and (min-width: 768px){
    width: auto;
    }

That’s basically where my question comes down to. What’s the best approach on styling the different screen sizes (while the CSS I have now is applied to everything).

Put another way, how would you modify an existing website’s CSS which is not responsive to mobile-first?

Yonikenneth

@ChrisP Thanks, so would that be the solution you would recommend?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.