Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Help! Too many includes/imports.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    RioBrewster
    Participant

Thanks for responding @shaneisme.

Yes we do actually have 500K+ pages. Hopefully we will have significantly less when we finish the cleanup process.

And of course we are doing templates for the pages and hopefully most of the team members will never need to touch the scaffolding. But as the information architect and CSS guru, I live in the scaffolding.

Whatever we set up needs to be flexible, but in a site this big “Sh*t! What file is this in??” is a major problem.

Especially with 13 developers of widely varied skill and hubris, and a 3,000 person state agency filled with back seat web designers. Every one wants their 10 things to “Stand Out.”

“Can you make it red, bold and italic? And center it at the top of the page?”

I feel perfectly comfortable saying “Sorry no.” But not everyone is. Thus boatloads of bad inline CSS.

Sorry – that sounds like whining. Didn’t mean to whine.

The point is that structure can’t solve all these problems, but if it’s poorly designed and defined, things will get out of control (more) quickly.

So I guess what I’m asking is if there are any best practices out there – published or anecdotal?

shaneisme
    Participant

Structure can solve all those problems (once you get the inline CSS out of the way).

A project of this size has to have a decent budget, and if none of the 13 developers know how to do this I’d be happy to offer my help as a consultant!

RioBrewster
    Participant

A project of this size has to have a decent budget…

Thank you for the kind offer and the hearty laugh you just gave me! No offense but you clearly are not familiar with (red)-state agencies. At least not this one.

No extra budget for this – we need to get this done before January when the new administration comes in – and in parallel continue to update the Behemoth and all of our other web sites.

I have a pretty good idea of how this should be structured, I was just hoping there were some best-practices out there that would lend more weight to what I’m trying to do – or convince me I’m on the wrong track.

I have already lost the battle of trying to lock down everything within the <head> tags, although SASS should help eliminate rogue CSS edits. I had to fight pretty hard for that.
    (You mean I have to learn a whole new language to edit CSS? What do you mean I have to use the command line?)

Our biggest issue is the inability to say “No” to people. No file structure will solve that problem.

nixnerd
    Participant

(You mean I have to learn a whole new language to edit CSS? What do you mean I have to use the command line?)

Funniest thing I’ve read today.

Our biggest issue is the inability to say “No” to people. No file structure will solve that problem.

SO TRUE! You hear this @Erik? Sometimes the best thing you can do is tell a client no.

Alen
    Participant

Worth watching

http://vimeo.com/97315940

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.