Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Help Please!!! HTML Emails how do I make one

• # August 3, 2008 at 6:25 pm

For the life of me I can not figure out how to make an HTML email with a graphic . I add the HTML straight into the message section of my email and send a test and it spits it back out as HTML text and not the image I want send. How do you make HTML render properly in and email. Or how do you do it in general. Help Please!!!

Thanks in advance.

# August 3, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Not all email clients are even capable of sending HTML emails. I like to use Thunderbird for sending test HTML emails. There is a menu option for "Insert HTML", which will include the HTML properly in the email. As it seems like you have learned, just pasting HTML into the body of the email doesn’t cut it :D

# August 4, 2008 at 5:10 pm

What is the purpose of that e-mail? You could also try a php-script with the mail()-function?

# August 5, 2008 at 5:43 pm

There are tutorials on the web for making html emails. But you have to tell us what mail client you are using. I am using outlook express and it supports html mail and gives you a code section and a preview section for viewing your mail. However, it uses old html code. It’s not up to todays web standards. So you do get mixed results sometimes. But if you google html mail. I am sure you will find something that will work for you.

box
    # August 6, 2008 at 6:41 am

Most mail clients don’t deal with standards compliant code very well. There’s very limited CSS support and the CSS that you do use should be added inline. Because of this, if you wish to reach the widest possible audience, then you might actually wish to use tables for layout! (I’ll now go and wash my mouth out!!).
    There was a group launched last year who stove to campaign for standards support in email clients (can’t remmeber the address), but with the New MS Outlook using its Word engine to display HTML emails rather than Internet Explorer – then I think they have a long long campaign ahead of them.
    Its like any web design job though, you learn by testing – install a number of the most popular mail clients onto your system (Outlook, outlook express, thunderbird, Mail, etc.), check in Gmail, yahoo, MSN/windows live, AOL etc, or recruit friends to receive the mail and send you screen shots, and test test test!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".