Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Help create drop down menu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kellyf
    Participant

Hi, I could really use some help. I need to make drop down navigation for this site. It’s a wordpress site that had the theme built by a developer(who is no longer available) When I add sub menus using the menu feature it just lists them under the primary navigation, making the navigation a mess. I’ve tried a couple of plugins but they did not work. I do know some css but don’t have the expertise to code a drop down menu.
    http://penchild.org/

Any help would be appreciated.

Paulie_D

You can’t make a sub-menu with CSS…it as to be HTML coded as one first.

CSS will style what’s there.

I suspect that the “menu feature” should allow you to define items as being in a submenu…but I confess that my knowledge of WP is practically nil.

I’m thinking this should be in the PHP / CMS area.

kellyf
    Participant

Shikkediel – Thanks, that is the basis for the change. I’m working from there.

Paulie-D – The sub-menu is already coded into the HTML, it just does not drop down. It remains visible and messes the whole thing up. Both PHP and CSS will be needed. Thanks.

kellyf
    Participant

I do still need assistance if anyone can help.

kellyf
    Participant

Update:
    This CSS works mostly with a couple of issues:

#header ul.menu li ul {
    display: none;
    background:#eaeaea
    }
    #header ul.menu li:hover > ul {
    display: block;
    }
    #header ul.menu li ul li {
    float: none;
    }

Issues:
    1) The main content is pushed down when the drop down list expands.

2) When a top level menu item is clicked on the color for the entire list under the page that was clicked changes to orange and the underlines do not disappear when not hovered on.

3) also the primary menu moves around when hovering over a top level menu page.

I’d appreciate any help with these issues.

penchild.org

kellyf
    Participant

Update:
    Got this CSS and it works mostly with a couple of issues:

#header ul.menu li ul {
    display: none;
    background:#eaeaea
    }
    #header ul.menu li:hover > ul {
    }
    #header ul.menu li ul li {
    float: none;
    }

Issues:
    1) The main content is pushed down when the drop down list expands.

2) When a top level menu item is clicked on the color for the entire list under the page that was clicked changes to orange and the underlines do not disappear when not hovered on.

3) also the primary menu moves around when hovering over a top level menu page.

I’d appreciate any help with these issues.

penchild.org

kellyf
    Participant

Thanks I tried this one again with the last modification added and the drop down was only dropping one level down as well as dropping down on all the top level menu items.

this one is a challenge.

I’ve got to put it back together for now but will be continuing to work on this if you have any other advice.

Thanks!

kellyf
    Participant

I will be working on it tomorrow evening I think. thanks.

John
    Participant

Send me an email to [email protected] and I’ll send you the nav I’ve been working on for my sister’s site, which also uses wordpress.

kellyf
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I’ve temporarily stopped working on this, we are trying to contact the developer who wrote the theme. If he is not available then the balls back in my court.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.