Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Having Trouble in WordPress *noob/student*

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bjdthomas

alright so this is probably a more in depth question than what typically would get answered on a forum but here goes nothing…

i am currently a student at otis college of art and design trying to set up a portfolio/wordpress page… i had originally purchased a theme from theme forest but found it was extremely limited as far as what i could change. so i stumbled upon Chris’s website and started watching tutorials…. well for the last couple of days i have been struggling to put together this page with little to no luck.

btw.. my website is brandonthomas.tv

it currently has the disaster i am referring to live. so what i thought was going to be a doable… simple wordpress page… 3 pages; home, about, contact, and a pdf dl resume… a sidebar with a twitter widget, links, recent posts, affiliates, etc.. and a main column with video posts… the main being featured content, then thumbnails for the rest. basically what i thought i was getting from theme forest… not so easy to set up.

so.. right now i am stuck just getting my page "titles" at the top of the screen to the right of the header image horizontally. copied chris"s code verbatim from the "designing for wordpress" series (excluding images etc) and could not get more than one column and could not get the page titles to line up at the top of the page… like the search bar is currently.

Could anyone recommend any good resources for building a simple wordpress page similar to what i already have set up? or have any tips to at least get me past my current dilema? i am sure there will be many more in the process. haha. here is the code for the pages "buttons"… maybe someone can see an easy fix..
    this is from the header.php

Code:

..***this is from the style.css

Code:
    /*
    MENU
    */
    #menu-bar { padding-top: 11px; margin-bottom: 20px; }
    ul#main-nav { width: 360px; float: right; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding-top: 20px; }
    ul#main-nav li { display: inline; }
    ul#main-nav li a { text-transform: uppercase; color: 7ea4a5: font-size: 1.2cm; padding: 3px 8px; }
    ul#main-nav li a:hover { background: 111111; color: ffffff; }

i know that reading through this is very time consuming and i really appreciate any help anyone has to offer. i realize a solution to this is the psd2html.com route… and believe me if i could afford it… it would have already happened. but i do believe this would be a useful skill to have considering the field i am in…. thank u all for ur time
    -brandon

bjdthomas

i forgot to add this to my list of problems…. my bg image for the site is 980×1000… maybe i am approaching this the wrong way… but to have everything behind my"designed" elements black… what are my options besides making a massive black bg to go behind everything? thanks again in advance for the help

TheDoc

Despite the botched website, the demo reel was great!

It’s weird, it seems to be ignoring things that you’ve outlined in the CSS. It could have something to do with the fact that there are 13 errors in the CSS file, try fixing those first:

Validator (13 Errors)

(btw, I separated your first posted into multiple paragraphs. When people see a HUGE block of text, chances are they won’t read it)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.