Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Have you ever…

• # June 22, 2011 at 3:32 am

Left a day job for a side-project you thought would work out and minor freelance work?

# June 22, 2011 at 4:04 am

Nope. I have called in ‘sick’ on a day job to finish off freelancing work though….does that count? ;-)

I almost did leave once for a side project but the guy who’s idea it was chose a more experienced developer.

# June 22, 2011 at 4:58 am

Haha it does count :P

What would you have done for income? I’m thinking about doing this but I want to make sure I know all the pros and cons before I decide.

# June 22, 2011 at 7:51 am

Erm…hadn’t really given it much thought if I’m honest. I think if you really want the money and get to the stage where you’ll do anything to pay a bill then there’s always the horrible job sites like VWorker, ELance etc where you can get very little for doing loads.

# June 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm

You’ll want to set up a solid base before you venture into the void.

Have lots of money saved up. Have a few projects lined up already. Start talking to everyone you know about services that you offer.

I work full-time for a web development company and I’m not itching to leave just yet, but the freedom of freelancing or working with a new company will pull me away at some point.

# June 24, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I’m in the “planning” stages of moving out on my own, which I’ve posted about a couple of times. Every time I think I’m getting close to being ready, I’m finding out that I’m not :) Having small kids and being the sole earner for my family does put more pressure on it than if I was a little more fancy free.

The steps I’ve taken so far are we’ve paid off every debt we have so all we have left is the house payment. The goal now is making sure we have at least 6 months of expenses saved up in liquid reserve. And the last thing is I’ve just created a “break point” formula – what it looks like is I take my bare bones budget needs – groceries, home, insurance and utilities – and came up with “x”. When my freelance work breaks “x” for at least 2 months AND I have more than 2 major projects already in progress, it’s time to put in my 2 weeks.

My biggest issue is what I do, at least on paper, can be a conflict of interest with my company (because they they have their hands in EVERYTHING). I’m beyond the moral issue because my company is incapable of providing what I do in reality. But it does keep me from telling everyone because I have to keep it at least semi under wraps.

# June 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’ve debated every now and then of quitting my job to work on my own projects or other projects as part of a team. If there were a project I thought would really take off and that I couldn’t work effectively at while also doing my job, I would think it over.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".