Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Google font directory

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nosecreek

Google announced today a the new Google Font Directory. Does anyone have initial thoughts? It appears to have some connection to TypeKit. What I’m wondering is this: So far the reason I do not use @font-face is that most font render horribly in browsers on Windows XP. Will the fonts on the Google Font Directory be any better for this than those I was getting from font squirrel?

Edit: Here’s a screenshot from Firefox 3.6 on XP (via Adobe BrowserLab). Ugh. Looks like @font-face will continue to be held back by XP.

TheDoc

I’m on XP at the office here and all of the fonts look fine to me.

nosecreek

I believe the issue is that XP does not have ClearType enabled by default. If it has been enabled the fonts look fine. Certainly I have tried viewing pages with font-face from my own copy of XP and had terrible results similar to the above screenshot.

SpaciousMind

I’m using their Nobile font on my site which looks great, but the ampersands have all dropped out… when I make the font weight bold they reappear, but I don’t want bold text.

I’m using the proper &… Back to Lucida Grande and Verdana I guess. :cry:

Anyone else encounter this? Am I doing something wrong?

ChrisRadford

If it’s in the bold but not regular version of the font it may well be that the ampersand character has been missed out by mistake/stripped out by mistake. Won’t be anything you’re doing wrong.

SpaciousMind

What’s weird is on Mac FF/Safari the ampersand is there, on IE it’s not… shocking: IE sucks yet again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.