Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Google and Bing Search

• # November 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I just uploaded the new site for Rapids City, IL, but if you search for it on google the title is “sewer issues!” which is what the title of the old site was listed as, because of some Go Daddy Web Designer issue.

Is it going to take a couple days for google and bing to update the search results to correspond to the current, or do I need to contact them?

# November 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

It’s not going to happen instantly. You should set the website up with Google Webmaster tools.

# November 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Alright, thanks! I just set it up.

# November 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

@ alex_wilson
    Few things I found to be missing by briefly looking at page source of index:
    page description,
    site verification tags for Google and Bing,

Other:
    sitemap.xml missing,
    combine all 3 style-sheets in to one,
    remove analytics tracking code from header and put it before closing head tag or closing body tag

# November 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm

@jurotek Thanks man! Almost regretting the decision to do this for free! :) I also submitted multiple requests for URL removals through Google for the old site.

# November 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm

@jurotek also I tried to verify the site using Google Webmaster, but it wasn’t listed in the site management section.

# November 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

on a webmaster tools home page add a site and than click manage site and verify, paste meta verification tag in head section of your index.html and publish it to server after you do that go to manage site and select verify. Don’t forget to create sitemap.xml and publish it to server, then go ahead and add it by clicking sitemaps under optimization and add it there so the site can be properly indexed

# November 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Yea, I originally did the steps for verifying, but the verify option wasn’t listed on webmaster. However, there was a verify on Go Daddy. I added a sitemap.xml and submitted it to Google.

# November 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

@jurotek I got an error from Google saying that it couldn’t crawl the sit because it couldn’t find robot.txt. How do I get robot.txt?

# November 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

open notepad and type in

User-agent: *
    Sitemap: http://www.yourdomain/sitemap.xml

save it as robots.txt and publish it to server

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".