Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Going To Jail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

Anyway not really..yet!

Got a naughty letter from my ISP for violating ‘Copyright’ for downloading a movie (allegedly) from BitLord and they want me to pay $600 to http://www.copyrightsettlements.com

So.. any easy good ways to hide IP?

I have tried HideMyAss and such but they sucked.

Do you use any if so what ones.

chrisburton
    Participant

Sounds like scam.

Erik
    Participant

I thought so also but from searches and calling ISP it’s legit

nixnerd
    Participant

They want you to pay $600 for allegedly downloading a movie? That DOES NOT sound legit at all.

You need a VPN.

chrisburton
    Participant

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/fuqfc/has_anyone_else_gotten_a_notice_of_copyright/

Read everything.

You need a VPN.

Piratebay makes it very difficult to trace. Not that I should be helping in this scenario.

Erik
    Participant

It came right from my ISP

It hard to believe.. I did call and attorney and they confirmed that movie companies pay these other companies to monitor p2p and copy IP address of anyone who downloads their content.

They use the Copyright Alert System

chrisburton
    Participant

From my research, it appears they have not brought any claims to the courts. I would ignore it but you need to be smarter about where you’re downloading from.

nixnerd
    Participant

Ask them to show you the proof. Even if they have your IP… how can the prove you did it? Say “I’m a computer n00b who may be unknowingly part of a botnet.”

Erik
    Participant

Yep… last time I (allegedly) downloaded from p2p was in the Napster days.. times sure have changed lol

Erik
    Participant

@NIX Right this guy says its all about these ‘Copyright Trolls’ really trying to scare people into paying… DieTrollDie

chrisburton
    Participant

Ask them to show you the proof. Even if they have your IP… how can the prove you did it? Say “I’m a computer n00b who may be unknowingly part of a botnet.”

I would not respond or acknowledge the email.

Erik
    Participant

To be clear I have NO interest in downloading.. just want more security on my IP.

This kinda made me remember how easy it is for companies to spy on me.

chrisburton
    Participant

Tor is probably your best bet.

nixnerd
    Participant

Go nuclear and build a Tor machine. You can take a $35 RPI and use it as your anonymous machine.

Erik
    Participant

$35 RPI…?

Where and how lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.