Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Getting x number of posts from each category – WP

• # June 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I’m building my first WordPress site, and The Loop is giving me a bit of a headache. I’ve read through the official document from WordPress, but nothing good came of it.

What I’m looking to do is get 4 posts from each category. I have an accordion-like layout, so each "tab" will show 4 posts from their respective category. So far I can only seem to show the 10 most recent posts, which isn’t any good, as I might do 5 posts in a row in one category, and so on…

Also, if you have any good hints on how I could go about doing the splitting of posts depending on their category, that would be helpful. Right now, I’m using jQuery to pick out posts with class of "category-catName", and moving them to the correct place.

Code:

Category 1 Header

Category 2 Header

Then getting all posts, picking out posts depening on their category, and placing them in their category-div, under the header.

# June 3, 2009 at 5:20 pm
    Code:
    < ?php $recent = new WP_Query("cat=3&showposts=1"); while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();?>

” rel=”bookmark”>< ?php the_title(); ?>

< ?php the_content(__('Read the story »'));?>

< ?php endwhile; ?>

Code:
    cat=3

Category ID number

Code:
    showposts=

Number of posts to show

The rest of the code is optional

# June 8, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Just saw this post. The tricky thing is in a standard query_posts call you can only specify the max. number of posts to show, not the number of posts per category. To get around this we have to make a seperate query for each category.

The following snippet is an example:

Code:
    < ?php
    $categories = get_categories("hierarchical=0&hide_empty=true");
    $showposts = 4; // the number of posts per category to showposts

echo "

“;
      foreach ($categories as $category) {
      echo “
    • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Projects

Colophon

CSS-Tricks* is created, written by, and maintained by Chris Coyier. It is built on WordPress, hosted by MediaTemple, and the assets are served by MaxCDN. The fonts are Source Sans and Source Code Pro. It is made possible by viewers like you who subscribe to The Lodge and through advertising for products and services I like.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".