Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Get into version control

• # February 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hey guys,

For a long time I had the habit to make all the changes on my website through FTP. So I was working on the live site.
    But now I decided to move on to git for version control, but I still want to develop right on a server for PHP stuff and to have simple access to the new code if someone else has made a change

The workflow should be the following:
    1. I make a change on the dev server
    2.The changes should be automatically committed to my Bitbucket repo
    3. When the entire work is done, I want to push it to the live server

What could be the simplest solution for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I’m using Mac OS X and that my server is running Apache

# February 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Hmm I noticed that there is a git integration in Coda 2, but I don’t understand yet how that’s working :(

# February 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

For something like this, you’ll need Git installed on both development and production servers. Here’s a link that might be helpful in getting you started: https://gist.github.com/oodavid/1809044

Coda 2 has a nice Git integration, if rather simplified — once you open a Git repository from within Coda, you’ll see branch information in your sidebar, and edited files will have icons beside them indicating if lines have been added or removed, etc. You can also commit from Coda.

Personally, I prefer combining Sublime Text 2 (with the Git plugin) and SourceTree’s GUI to work with git, and I’m trying to get better with the command line, thanks to zsh, oh-my-zsh and the agnoster theme. ^__^

# February 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Thanks for your answer so far :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".