Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Function works everywhere except home page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rmlumley

I have a function that pulls in a custom post_type (events) and shows the two upcoming events. It works fine when I pull in the function in a post or page’s sidebar. When I use it on the home page (the one place I need it work at) – it doesn’t work correctly.

$todaysDate = date('Y/m/d');
    $event_widget_query = new WP_Query('post_type=events&posts_per_page=2&post_status=publish&meta_key=event_date&meta_compare=>=&meta_value=' . $todaysDate . '&orderby=meta_value&order=ASC');
    ?>

If I simplify it on the homepage:

$event_widget_query = new WP_Query('post_type=events&posts_per_page=2');
    ?>

It just pulls in the two most recent posts – not the two most recent events. What can I do so that this function works on the home page? Is it a multiple loop issue? I’ve tried rewind_posts and wp_reset_query.

I’ve also posted more information on stack overflow.

rmlumley

This has been an issue I’ve been struggling with for weeks, so anyone who can take a look at this would be great. I’m simply at a loss of what else to try at this point.

clokey2k
    Participant

I thought I had found a solution for you here: http://justintadlock.com/archives/2010/02/02/showing-custom-post-types-on-your-home-blog-page

BUT I was wrong!! I cannot fathom why the home page would alter the query code. I see you have tried to do the same thing with ‘query_posts()’ (practically the same as ‘WP_query’). Try to echo out the query string, before and after you create your query – just to make sure that your query is not being modified. (‘echo $query_string’)

rmlumley

Thanks for looking into it. There are two sidebars (sidebar.php and sidebar-home.php). For testing purposes, I have them both calling the function. It only works on posts and pages. If I change it so that home.php calls in the normal sidebar (instead of sidebar-home) – it doesn’t work. If I change single.php so it calls in sidebar-home (instead of the normal sidebar) – it doesn’t work. So, my thought is something must be affecting it inside of home.php. I tried setting it up so the very first thing that home.php does is call in the sidebar. It still doesn’t work.

Home.php is simply running a loop.

I might be misunderstanding you, but I tried putting in before and after the wp_query and nothing gets outputted.

clokey2k
    Participant

oh… the $query_string trick was from Chris’s ‘The WordPress Loop’.

I’m none the wiser as to why it’s broken…

rmlumley

Thanks for looking into it. I’m glad I’m not crazy in thinking everything looks right. There is some sort of conflict with home.php and I just don’t know what it is.

rmlumley

I actually got it to work using get_posts.

rmlumley

Code that solved the problem posted below:

function eventsWidget() {?>

Featured Events

global $post;
      $event_args = array('post_type' => 'events',
      'numberposts' => 2,
      'meta_key' => 'event_date',
      'post_status' => 'publish',
      'meta_compare' => '>=',
      'meta_value' => $todaysDate,
      'orderby' => 'meta_value',
      'order'=> 'ASC');
      $event_widget_query = get_posts( $event_args );
      foreach ($event_widget_query as $post) : setup_postdata($event_widget_query); ?>
      ID, 'event_date', true);
      $new_event_date = date("F j",strtotime($event_date)); ?>
    • "> -  »

more events »

UverHlfod

Thanks for the bonus! I just submitted a review for Tradewinds Cruise Club – BVI’s. It’s an article that I wrote and will be published in December 2012.
    senior care

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.