Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other FTP Client for Windows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ScottMacD

Hey Everyone!

Can anyone recommend a good FTP client for windows vista, similar to Coda for the Mac.

Im currently using FileZilla, which gets the job done but im looking for something better.

Nothing too expensive, or free is even better as im a student? :)

Argeaux
    Participant

Whats so special about coda? I mean a ftps client is a ftp client … no?

anyhoo i use flashfxp on my work and i like it.

ScottMacD

I like the user interface coda offers. Its simple, had a good layout and allows you to easily edit the file(s) then upload them straight to the server within the same application. Unfortunately i don’t have my own Mac so i’m looking for an alternative for windows

mikes
    "Argeaux" wrote:
    Whats so special about coda? I mean a ftps client is a ftp client … no?

anyhoo i use flashfxp on my work and i like it.

You almost said it in your typo :)

not all ftp clients are the same… some are ftpS (ie-secure ftp)

ftp transmits your username and password unencrypted. I’ve never heard of someone having their webspace gotten into with a password that was harvested from an unencrypted ftp transmission but it could certainly happen. wsftp amoung others support ssl which would plug up that little security hole. SSH is another option.

Sadly, I don’t know of a windows ftp program that is nearly as elegant as coda, nor as well integrated into a decent editor. Personally, I use wsftp because I have it but fortunately since I started developing locally with XAMPP, I don’t have to look at it very often :)

However, I just started using Notepad++ for an editor. Given the other alternatives in the windows world, I love it. I haven’t looked yet but I’m sure there is a ftp plugin for it which might make it a decent choice for you.

ScottMacD

Yeh ive been using Notepad++ for a while now, i first came across the portable version of it that you can run straight of your pen drive (USB Flash Stick)

Portableapps.com

thats where i found the portable version, theres also a few handy things for firefox there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.