Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

From WordPress to Kirby

• # January 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Set it to MM-DD-YYYY on the blueprint but when you echo it out in your template, you can alter that.

Edit: Oh, I see what you meant. Yes, it is annoying but hey, it works on the front-end.

# January 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Wow, I just read through your posts and am completely intrigued! I had made it my mission to become a WordPress guru as I want to simplify stuff but after reading this, perhaps I’m going in the wrong direction.

Question about hosting, and maybe I just missed it, but is it that only certain hosts will host kirby?? Thanks chrisburton.

# January 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

@Lexabi No problem. We were specifically talking about certain hosts that allow you to install Dropbox on your server. On the Kirby site, there is a list of hosting companies that it recommends but I believe that’s just for Dropbox support.

# January 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

@Lexabi You should avoid hosts that only offer php 5.4. @traq says above that the markdown module doesn’t work with 5.4.

My host doesn’t provide dropbox support, but still runs kirby perfectly as they use php 5.3. I’m just sticking to FTP for the time being.

# January 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

@BenWalker honestly, I’m avoiding Kirby until that issue is fixed. Avoiding 5.4 is a bad plan.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue. I doubt there are hosts anywhere that *only* offer php 5.4. Once Kirby is compatible, however, it’s definitely a good idea to use most recent version of PHP.

# January 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm

> Avoiding 5.4 is a bad plan.

If nothing you used required 5.4, why would it be preferable? Is it just a case of being future-proof?

Obviously there’s no reason not to run it if you can, but given that isn’t the case, why is it better to have the higher php version and sacrifice your software, rather than the other way around?

# January 8, 2013 at 1:00 am

> If nothing you used required 5.4, why would it be preferable? Is it just a case of being future-proof?

bug fixes, security patches, engine efficiency… and the forward-compatibility you mention is a good thing, too.

I know that many people are “stuck” with legacy software, and I understand – if you don’t have the capability of making everything work with a new version, then you have to make do. (This isn’t our situation, as Bastian is actively working on a fix for this particular issue.)

*However, if you’re not running > 5.3, you **really should be**.*

PHP, believe it or not, is largely backwards-compatible: almost anything you come across that “doesn’t work” in a new version falls into one of the following categories:

(1) it didn’t work in the old version either, but the error was being ignored *and/or* another error was canceling it out *and/or* 98% of the time it failed in just the right way and so no one noticed

(2) it is something that you shouldn’t have been doing in the first place, like using a function that had been outdated and superceeded by another for over eight years (e.g., `mysql_*()`) or relying on a “feature” that was really just a security hole (e.g., `$_REQUEST` or `magic_quotes_gpc`)

# January 9, 2013 at 9:27 am

20% off a Kirby license with the code FIRSTBIRTHDAY

# January 12, 2013 at 3:19 am

Finally started digging into Kirby. Pretty fantastic, especially after reading some of the documentation on Blueprints for The Kirby Panel.

Started playing around with it and then moved back to some work. Realized I need a super light-weight CMS for a client and thought I’d give Kirby a whirl for it. Will report back with the process. I’m just hoping that the Panel is both stable enough and makes sense to somebody who doesn’t know anything about the web.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".