Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other From WordPress to Kirby

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@BenWalker Webfaction is the only shared host that I’ve found that allows this. I plan to move away from StableHost to them within the next month. Otherwise you need a Virtual or Dedicated Server.

chrisburton
    Participant

I like mine too but when they don’t offer features you’d like, I won’t stay. I might even try a VPS.

Flip

Hey, I started working with Kirby too and I think it’s super awesome. If you’re looking for a good hoster for Kirby, Bastian has a list of hosting providers for Kirby on his page. And for the german web developers I can recommend Uberspace Hosting. They have a “pay-what-you-want” pricing model and you can even install dropbox and other services on your server. I use that to deploy my Kirby site.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Flip Thanks. I did see that which is how I found Webfaction. How do you like using Kirby with Dropbox? I’m really anxious to test it out once I switch hosting companies. You can’t beat an application that acts as an FTP and cloud backup service in one.

Flip

@chrisburton Working with Kirby and Dropbox is great. I can work locally and have everything synced to the server. And with mobile apps like “iA Writer” I can even blog and work on the site while on the go. The only problem I have with that is that it actually syncs in real time. When I work on a blogpost, it sometimes syncs the draft to the server because when I hit safe it syncs the file. So I recommend to pause dropbox when you work on bigger changes to the site and unpause it when finished, so that only the finished files get synced.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Flip I didn’t even think about pausing it. What I would do is use my text editor to write my blog. When I’m finished, I can just save it into Dropbox to avoid that issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welp, I’m on board. This Kirby business is kinda great. The versatility! The options! I might be in love with it.

The panel interface I could see be being really user friendly with proper blueprints as well. Only gripe is I was unable to make a date field default to the current date on my blogarticle blueprint. But hey, setting it to MM-DD-YYYY it’s that bad.

Can’t wait til a project comes along I can use this for! Thanks for sharing this @chrisburton.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDark12 Hey, my pleasure and I can help you with that date problem. What exactly is the issue?

chrisburton
    Participant

Set it to MM-DD-YYYY on the blueprint but when you echo it out in your template, you can alter that.

Edit: Oh, I see what you meant. Yes, it is annoying but hey, it works on the front-end.

Lexabi

Wow, I just read through your posts and am completely intrigued! I had made it my mission to become a WordPress guru as I want to simplify stuff but after reading this, perhaps I’m going in the wrong direction.

Question about hosting, and maybe I just missed it, but is it that only certain hosts will host kirby?? Thanks chrisburton.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Lexabi No problem. We were specifically talking about certain hosts that allow you to install Dropbox on your server. On the Kirby site, there is a list of hosting companies that it recommends but I believe that’s just for Dropbox support.

__
    Participant

@BenWalker honestly, I’m avoiding Kirby until that issue is fixed. Avoiding 5.4 is a bad plan.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue. I doubt there are hosts anywhere that *only* offer php 5.4. Once Kirby is compatible, however, it’s definitely a good idea to use most recent version of PHP.

__
    Participant

> If nothing you used required 5.4, why would it be preferable? Is it just a case of being future-proof?

bug fixes, security patches, engine efficiency… and the forward-compatibility you mention is a good thing, too.

I know that many people are “stuck” with legacy software, and I understand – if you don’t have the capability of making everything work with a new version, then you have to make do. (This isn’t our situation, as Bastian is actively working on a fix for this particular issue.)

*However, if you’re not running > 5.3, you **really should be**.*

PHP, believe it or not, is largely backwards-compatible: almost anything you come across that “doesn’t work” in a new version falls into one of the following categories:

(1) it didn’t work in the old version either, but the error was being ignored *and/or* another error was canceling it out *and/or* 98% of the time it failed in just the right way and so no one noticed

(2) it is something that you shouldn’t have been doing in the first place, like using a function that had been outdated and superceeded by another for over eight years (e.g., `mysql_*()`) or relying on a “feature” that was really just a security hole (e.g., `$_REQUEST` or `magic_quotes_gpc`)

chrisburton
    Participant

20% off a Kirby license with the code FIRSTBIRTHDAY

TheDoc

Finally started digging into Kirby. Pretty fantastic, especially after reading some of the documentation on Blueprints for The Kirby Panel.

Started playing around with it and then moved back to some work. Realized I need a super light-weight CMS for a client and thought I’d give Kirby a whirl for it. Will report back with the process. I’m just hoping that the Panel is both stable enough and makes sense to somebody who doesn’t know anything about the web.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.