Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other From WordPress to Kirby

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Hey guys. I’ve decided to move away from WordPress on my personal site and switch to the NoDB CMS, Kirby. Has anyone else had experience with it and if so, what are your thoughts? I also don’t mid reading opinions of those who haven’t used it.

TheDoc

I’m intrigued by your decision! Any reason for the move?

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc I really love WordPress, to be honest. But, there are a lot of little things that I dislike. One of them being is that you need to add plugins for functionality. Such as custom fields or custom post types. And sometimes something simple that you need is only available from a large plugin that offers other things as well. I like to keep everything structured and organized (you should see the backend of my admin section). I would still use WordPress for clients depending on the size of the project but I prefer how Kirby’s folder/file is structured. Much more than that, I love how the development side of it works. You can use dropbox as a backup service and synchronization. So if you make changes or add new content, Dropbox backs it up but also produces it onto your site. And even though Kirby doesn’t use a DB, you are able to incorporate one for things like a comment-form. I love how flexible it is. And for a personal site, it’s perfect.

Update: One more thing, I absolutely hate that after you’ve deleted a plugin in WordPress, the content stays in the database. I understand the reason for this but I absolutely dislike it.

Watson90

@chrisburton – I’ve never heard of Kirby, it looks decent, though. And the points you’ve provided sounds like it could be a worthwhile switch, at least for your personal website.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Watson90 I’m definitely making the switch. I’m glad someone tweeted about this otherwise I would have never known about it.

TheDoc

It’s very interesting, for sure. A unique concept by the looks of it, or at least I haven’t seen anything really like it before.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc One feature that you might particularly like is that you can develop entirely with markdown as it’s built in. I’ll let you know my thoughts once I get started.

wragen22

@chrisburton I have also been thinking about checking this out. How difficult is it to get my file structure in there in working? Say I have scss files index.php and other .php pages.

chrisburton
    Participant

@wragen22

It’s much easier to learn how Kirby works than learning WordPress for the first time. I think you’ll also like the organization compared to WordPress. Such as, with images they don’t go in one folder that is structured by date (like WordPress). They are organized with your posts. http://cloud.chrisburton.me/Luys

Your scss files will go in your css folder inside the assets folder.
    `kirby/assets/css/style.scss`

What sort of PHP pages are we talking about? Are they from WordPress?

realph
    Participant

I just heard about Kirby and like the sound of it. Jessica Hische just relaunched her site with it. [http://jessicahische.is/awesome](http://jessicahische.is/awesome “”)

It sounds pretty awesome!

chrisburton
    Participant

It sure is. Russ (her husband) introduced me to it.

Andy Howells
    Participant

Kirby does sound good, my only reservation is that we do sites for businesses and they likes them a CMS WYSIWYG editor.

The best alternative to WordPress I’ve found is Perch, in terms of offering a proper CMS that’s powerful but lightweight.

I would love to use Kirby on personal projects though.

chrisburton
    Participant

@andy_unleash You could ask Bastian on how to incorporate one. But to my limited knowledge so far, you can basically have something like this: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/Lv5T

Andy Howells
    Participant

Hmm. My favourite CMS editor is Redactor.js – totes badass. I’ll grab Kirby off Github and have a play – might be able to integrate it.

realph
    Participant

I do agree with @chrisburton though. When it comes to added functionality, there are only a handful of plugins that hook into extending WordPress elegantly without bloat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.