Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Forums' HTML – Semantics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Larsinho
    Participant

Hello everyone,

just took a look at the HTML code of the new forums and was rather surprised to see unordered lists are used (although looking clearly like a real table).

Does it really make sense to use unsorted lists for this purpose? Why not use simply a table for more or less tabular data like a forum overview?

IMHO those table paranoia have become kind of rampant.

Best,

Lars

Paulie_D

It’s probably just a function of bbPress

There is an argument for forums to be tables (and many still are) but unordered/unsorted lists make just as much sense to me.

I’m not sure what would be gained by using ordered/sorted lists though

Larsinho
    Participant

But the list is ordered by time so ol would be much more precise. If using lists I would go for definition lists in terms of semantics.

Paulie_D

You go with what the software lets you have.

It’s not ordered by time, I think, it’s **sorted** by time. I think the difference is a fine one.

>The ol element represents a list of items, where the items have been intentionally ordered, such that changing the order would change the meaning of the list.

The forum subjects aren’t intentionally ordered because there is no need to do so.

I’m no sure a definition list is more semantic in this case or even strictly appropriate….but that’s just one mans opinion

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree with @Paulie_D.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.