Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Forum Feeds & Notifications (phpBB v3)

• # June 17, 2008 at 10:16 am

This forum is currently running on v3 of the phpBB forum software. I really really like it for the most part, but I am baffled why it doesn’t offer RSS feeds of any kind. I know I would like to subscribe to a feed of new topics, and several other folks have asked for the same thing.

Googling around a bit I found a few alternations for phpBB to add RSS, but it turns out they were all for v2 not this new v3, and they didn’t work at all when I’ve tried to implement them.

So if anyone knows of a way we can get RSS added for this forum, please let me know. You’d be my new idol :D

It has also come to my attention that the "Notify me when a reply is posted" thing isn’t working either. Is everyone else finding that to be true as well? That’s gotta be a problem on my end I suspect.

# June 17, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I havent done anything with phpbb3 for awhile but check this out:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi … 0&t=552465

# June 17, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Nice! It looks like this did the trick. Almost no modification needed at all. If anyone is interested in the feed:

syndication.php

I have it altered so that it will ONLY show NEW topics. I figure that way it’s not overwhelming and you can only click over and view the thread if it’s something you are interested in. I’ll post about it on the blog soon, once I’m sure it’s happily working. One problem I see is that the feed doesn’t validate, which makes it impossible for me to burn through FeedBurner for now. Hopefully I can get that resolved… :?

# June 18, 2008 at 9:45 am

can you post the phpsource here? Maybe i can see why it doesnt validate …

# June 18, 2008 at 9:58 am

Here is a link to the problems with validation:

Feed Validation

Looks like a lot of it has to do with code snippets and stuff people include in posts, which is a must.

# November 6, 2008 at 7:33 am

Hi,
    I want to implement a forum like this (phpbb) into a website, but I don’t want it to be public.
    My idea is that just those who are members will be able to read the topics.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up this forum in this way?

Greetings…

# November 6, 2008 at 8:41 am

Yes it is possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".