Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other For a web designer, best would be a TN LCD panel. Or am i wrong here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    supperman
    Participant

The best way for a web designer would be to go for TN LCD panel. Fact is they are most common among everyday users, because they are cheap. VA/IPS sure have better/best viewing angle and produce most accurate color and all that stuff, but not many people use them.
    I guess the wisest would be to make designs on panels that most people use.
    Is this trivial thinking?

This is from CNET buying guide. Skip if youre familiar with TN VA IPS panels.

The three main panel technologies currently used in LCDs are: twisted nematic (TN), vertical alignment (VA), and in-plane switching (IPS). Manufacturers make the vast majority of consumer monitors using TN panels.

Not surprising, TN panels are the cheapest of the three technologies to make. With a few exceptions, monitors that cost $300 or less will likely have TN panels. The main advantages of TN panels are their fast–usually 2ms–response time and, of course, low price. Their major disadvantages are narrow viewing angles, relatively low brightness, and inaccurate color reproduction.

Next up are VA (mostly seen as S-PVA) panels. VAs have improved viewing angles compared with TNs, better color reproduction, and they typically have a much higher maximum brightness. Also, they tend to have the lowest black levels of all three panel technologies. Unfortunately, a VA panel’s response time and input lag are not quite as fast as a TN panel, and they can cost anywhere from $400 to $800, and sometimes more depending on the panel’s size. Also, you can expect a VA-based monitor’s profile to be wider than a TN’s.

Lastly, we have IPS. IPS-based monitors are usually the most expensive; however, the new e-IPS panels cost as little as $300 for a 22-inch model. They also have the best viewing angles of all three technologies and produce the most accurate colors; however, their blacks are not as deep as VA panels’. IPS monitors are the slowest of the bunch in both response time and input lag.

chrisburton
    Participant

Monitors have moved from LCD to LED

standuncan

I would not design on what people use, I would design on something precise with clarity and color corrected. Although… I would test/verify on everyday normal monitors as well. This is if I had enough money to purchase such products lol.

supperman
    Participant

Monitors have moved from LCD to LED

I read that LED is a backlight technology. All panels use LCD (that is Liquid crystal display) in three of the above mentioned technologies (mainly).
    So in practice you can have TN-LCD with LED backlight or IPS-LCD with LED backlight.

done more reading:
    TNs cause irregular color display. You’ll see gradients apear in corners of your screen when you move your head.
    Maybee its still best to use IPS (with LED backlight ofc.) because you will have more precise colors on the screen. Though your design still wont look the same on TNs because they manage black color differently.

To test it on many panels its something i cant afford also, but would be best, i agree.

tobeeornot

This is a terrific monitor and relatively affordable too:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/370729/samsung-syncmaster-s27a850d

chrisburton
    Participant

Interesting. I always thought LED was its own but apparently a standalone LED is not available as of yet. I have both and I would have to agree with the above (LCD w/ LED backlighting).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.