Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS font-size : PX vs EM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    maxisix
    Participant

Hey guys ! I’m not sure that i understand why its recommand to use EM more than PX in responsive web design. Can you guys explain me the reason why everybody use EM? thanks !

yeeyang
    Participant
    Paulie_D
    LWTBP

I think it’s a fun discussion to ‘start it all up again’ because of what I read here: [Beginner’s Course on HTML CSS by Shay Howe](http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/typography “Beginner’s Course on HTML CSS by Shay Howe”)

Scroll to the portion on text sizes. That course’s advanced course was suggested by Chris so I assume the Basic one holds water too.

Andy Howells
    Participant

Just to add a little extra to this, I use REM’s instead of EM’s as the math gets complex using EM’s.

REM’s base themselves on the HTML font-size. So nested font-sizes don’t get exponentially bigger/smaller/more complex.

If you use SASS/SCSS – don’t go alone, take this Mixin;

@mixin font-size($sizeValue){
    font-size: $sizeValue + px;
    font-size: ($sizeValue / 10) + rem;
    }

// To use it;

html { font-size: 10px; } // or whatever size you want

.element { @include font-size(14); }

//This outputs;

.element {
    font-size: 14px;
    font-size: 1.4rem;
    }

Dami
    Participant

> REM’s base themselves on the HTML font-size. So nested font-sizes don’t get exponentially bigger/smaller/more complex.

Thank you! I thought it was my imagination the first time I saw that happening. I hate using EMs just for that reason.

LWTBP

> joshuanhibbert

Yes, I will read everything on that link.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@Dami – Only thing to watch out for with REM’s is that IE8 and below don’t support them, so make sure to use a PX fallback, placed before the REM in the code, just in case.

Paulie_D
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.