Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS @Font Looks Bad In WebKit Browsers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    standuncan

Interesting read and lots of good info. I wish Chrome would just upgrade their rendering process, makes me feel about them like I do about IE a little bit.

TheDoc

@standuncan – it’s unfortunate, but there are a few bugs in Chrome. It does’t handle full-page backgrounds very nicely as well as websites heavy on shadows. I’m actually to to do workarounds for Chrome recently, pain in the ass!

SamLar

Hmmm… I don’t completely agree here. First of all I have the same issue. My font-family fonts look horrible on Chrome Windows. Now, fact is, I am using the same font as CSS tricks here for testing and the body font of this site looks pretty awesome to me in Chrome. Ever checked out? So, as mentioned before in this thread, I don’t think this is just a rendering issue based on the fact Chrome uses a software approach. I think it’s a conversion problem maybe? Would be interesting to know in detail how CSS tricks approached this issue for their site?

chrisburton
    Participant

Typekit

As @ChristopherBurton mentioned, Typekit is the answer. They individually hint each typeface for each browser and OS. Also, you may learn a bit more from reading this: http://daneden.me/2012/01/why-do-my-fonts-look-so-bad-in-x/

SamLar

Yeah. Found the source of the problem. I used FontXChange to convert fonts which seems to have issues to convert them properly for Windows. Fontsquirrel and all good. So – if any of you use FontXChange just keep an eye out.

guys, can anyone help me out. this is weird. I am using a font named “Existence-UnicaseLight” using @font-face.

when i am appling just

@font-face {
    font-family: “Existence-UnicaseLight”;
    src: url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.eot”);
    src: local(“☺”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.woff”) format(“woff”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.otf”) format(“opentype”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.ttf”) format(“truetype”), url(“../fonts/.svg#Existence-UnicaseLight”) format(“svg”);
    }

@font-face {
    font-family: “Existence”;
    src: local(“☺”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.woff”) format(“woff”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.otf”) format(“opentype”), url(“../fonts/.svg#Existence-UnicaseLight”) format(“svg”);
    }

chrome just doesnt show anything and foolly when i apply

@font-face {
    font-family: “Existence-UnicaseLight”;
    src: local(“☺”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.woff”) format(“woff”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.otf”) format(“opentype”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.ttf”) format(“truetype”), url(“../fonts/.svg#Existence-UnicaseLight”) format(“svg”);
    }

@font-face {
    font-family: “Existence”;
    src: local(“☺”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.woff”) format(“woff”), url(“../fonts/Existence-UnicaseLight.otf”) format(“opentype”), url(“../fonts/.svg#Existence-UnicaseLight”) format(“svg”);
    }

and define : body {
    font: 13px/1.5 ‘CALIBRI’, Arial, ‘Liberation Sans’, FreeSans, sans-serif;
    }
    it woks. wtf***.

can ansy one help also how can I stop Chrome rendering my font bad.

okay i solved by myself.
    That was because .ttf wasn’t defined. can someone help me in antialising nature of Chrome???

chrisburton
    Participant

-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;

bfredit
    Participant

`font-smoothing: antialiased;` is not the answer to anything but icon-fonts and large display type.

http://www.usabilitypost.com/2012/11/05/stop-fixing-font-smoothing/

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s actually debatable and depends on the font.

chrisburton
    Participant

I was referring to the posted link by the person above you, sorry.

tracker1

@LaurelBrittany … any system with Verdana will have Arial, so the fallback isn’t needed… also, Arial is fashioned after Helvetica and renders better than Helvetica on Windows, which is the default sans-serif. Helvetica is the default on OSX which looks better… On other OSes it’s another similar sans-serif font. Best for people to simply use “sans-serif” as the default, not specifying Arial, or Helvetica ever.

I cry a little inside when I see font definitions like: Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Open-Sans, sans-serif … where on most platforms, it’s the same as just using sans-serif, and if you happen to have more than one of the fonts installed, it may be using one not well hinted for that platform… just use ‘sans-serif’

chrisburton
    Participant

I cry a little when anyone uses Helvetica. But regardless of the platform, Helvetica isn’t all that great on screen.

In my experience, I don’t ever recall seeing font stacks described above. Usually it’s something like:

`Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif`

eddiei
    Participant

@ https://css-tricks.com/forums/users/LaurelBrittany/

This is genius. Thank you. I downloaded my fonts correctly from fontsquirrel. I was using Lato and Oswald (Google Fonts). So what I actually did was use your media querie and I actually then called on the Google fonts and I could view them in Safari!!

Great job. Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.