Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

fixed position on sidebar text without going to far down the footer

• # October 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

Hi CSS tricksters… :D Im needing some help with a website Im doing for the company Im working for here is the link Think Big Online

as you can see on the right side i have a text saying “How Do you describe people as eclectic as ours? You don’t. You let them do it. …” I want that text to scroll down but stop as soon as the footer appears…

Ive tried using

position:fixed;top:300px;margin-left:580px;

but the text would then overlap the footer as soon as it appears… any way I could stop the text position and make it scroll just inside the content area?

Can this be done by just CSS? or should I use jquery?

# October 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

there is no css way to do that. You could give the footer a higher z index so the text goes behind the footer at least.

# October 3, 2011 at 9:20 am

Well I don’t think you can handle it without javascript unless you fix the footer, either.
    With pure css you can hide it behind the footer using z-index but
    there would be a moment where it’s semi-behind semi-showing if that’s acceptable go for it.

# October 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

hi guys thanks for the response… since Id have to use js for that can you point me to the right direction? or maybe teach me how to make the effect… I dont want the text to go behind or disappear, i want it to stop just before the footer… can anyone help?

# October 4, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hi John,
    This is a pretty handy jQuery plugin that I have used in the past. It should take care of what you need.

http://www.wduffy.co.uk/jScroll/

Hope that helps!
    -Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".