Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Finding a good code editor for windows… really.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have downloaded and tried I think every possible textcode editor possible for Windows.

Why the hell can’t we just have Coda?

Seriously, this is my opinion.. Why use a text editor that doesnt have FTP built in? And not just a simple ftp, but a real ftp that allows you to fully drag and drop. Why not have an editor that is actually decent to look at? Why not have an editor that doesn’t crash all the time, mainly due to the fact its created by one person, so there isnt simply enough time to dedicate to fixing it? Why not have an editor that isn’t bloated?

The answer to all of this is Coda. Unfortunately, its only for Mac OS X. And I really mean unfortunately, because even though its a superior OS, a lot of people still don’t use it PLUS it takes years sometime for games to be released on it.

Now, owning a Mac is now a moot point, as every mac is now produced using Intel chips. Therefore, simply break the TOS and load it on an intel based computer and you’re fine… thousands of dollars are saved. But the point is, I either want a good editor for windows, or the ability to multitask workinggaming on a single OS, which you can’t game on Mac OS X.

Literally, I have tried over 20 editors for windows, and nothing compares to Coda. I even emailed Panic and they said there isn’t plans to bring Coda to windows. Why the hell not? They don’t want more profit and expand its popularity and userbase?

Please, I need help finding a real code editor for windows. Don’t say Notepad++, don’t say Dreamweaver, don’t say Aptana… As these don’t meet my Coda requirements noted above.

TheDoc

Quite the rant. I use Dreamweaver both at work on a PC and at home on a Mac. No qualms with it at all.

[edit]This isn’t meant as a jab at ya, just wanted to state what I was using.[/edit]

Return

Have u tried ‘Php Designer’ ?

I downloaded it this morning, didn’t have much time to test it but after trying aptana.. feels nice.

JaredAM

Quite the rant indeed. But I’m glad that you know there is one product in the world that you love. I have yet to find that sort of meaningful relationship.

I too am currently looking for a good editor since I’ve migrated back to windows from linux. I’m leaning towards an ide: Netbeans, Eclipse, and Aptana as standalone since I’m not sure I need everything Eclipse wants to bring to the table.

But at this point I’d settle for a nice editor. I’m considering: Komodo (it has a drupal plugin which would be handy) and UltraEdit (used this in the corporate world and loved it), and I’ve used phpdesigner back when it was free and it was a very useful tool as well. However, if I was going to pay for something it would probably be UltraEdit.

SmashingMagazine had a couple of interesting articles on this subject:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05 … -reviewed/
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02 … to-choose/

They’re not overly helpful as in "this is the greatest thing ever" but the articles serve as a "here’s what’s out there".

Doc… Have you configured DW somehow to not be so slow when interacting with FTP? This is my biggest problem with it. Not only that, you don’t have complete freedom with the FTP. Sure, you can work remotely on the FTP setup, but if u want sync power and FTP, you are pretty much forced to work always with your local files, then upload it. I don’t know, just really messes up my workflow and I feel like it takes me forever to do things. Not only that, but I’ve worked on a few things where someone else has edited the remote file… And what do I do? Edit *my* local file, then upload it.. Opps, now all their work is gone. I know thats a specific scenario, but still, something about DW just erks me.

E-Texteditor is nice… However, have you not had it crash on you multiple times? I’ve had it crash on me 5+ times a day for 5 days straight and I’m not exaggerating. What plugins do you use for your enhancements? I went looking through them and didn’t see anything that stuck out really as being useful, but I could have easily passed over something. Not only that, but the FTP support on E is very limited as well it seems. Unless I’m missing the plugins of all plugins! I have no problem paying 35 or whatever it is for it, but if it keeps crashing and isn’t what I’m looking for FTP wise… I’m not sure about this WinSCP, but I’ll give it a look after this post. Seriously though, I’d be interested to know which plugins you use for E.

And yes, it is quite the rant, because after downloading so many editors, trying them all out, finding the same crap with all of them, I just wish i could use Coda. Simple as that. :|

TheDoc
    "milehighdesigner" wrote:
    Doc… Have you configured DW somehow to not be so slow when interacting with FTP? This is my biggest problem with it. Not only that, you don’t have complete freedom with the FTP. Sure, you can work remotely on the FTP setup, but if u want sync power and FTP, you are pretty much forced to work always with your local files, then upload it. I don’t know, just really messes up my workflow and I feel like it takes me forever to do things. Not only that, but I’ve worked on a few things where someone else has edited the remote file… And what do I do? Edit *my* local file, then upload it.. Opps, now all their work is gone. I know thats a specific scenario, but still, something about DW just erks me.

I only work locally. I would never work on a client’s live website.

Sometimes the FTP can be weird, but not enough for me to consider using a different program. If I know somebody else is editing a site (which I only have in one situation), I just make sure to download files from the server before working on them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.