Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Finally was able to re-design our OWN site…what do you think?

• # February 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Some of you might have remembered what our site looks like before. If not, still open to any and all feedback you might have!

http://goodchee.com

# February 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

Love it, especially the mouseover logo effect
    Maybe on the contact page, put the “NDA” inside a span and give the span a title of “non-disclosure agreement”, just to save some confusion :D

I gave it a +1

Also, because there’s so many images I would either compress them and data URIs where possible to speed up the page load times

# February 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I really love the design!

However, the site looks really bad in IE8, but i guess you already knew that? :)

# February 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

@Kermet Not all all! I checked in IE8 and I don’t see any problems on any pages. What are you seeing?

# February 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

@karlpcrowley thanks for the feedback. I’ll think about the NDA thing.

Was the site slow loading for you? I ran it through http://gtmetrix.com and got 89% with a page load time of 1.64 seconds which is pretty speedy. It can always be faster though, so I will look into that, as well.

# February 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

@Luminated my bad, i thought i had IE 8 on my VM (running osx), but i have IE 6 still…

..i guess it’s enough if any site loads at all on that one… :)

# February 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Looks good! I’m generally not a fan of sticky footers, but I think it would work perfectly with this design.

# February 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

@TheDoc…Same here. I thought I could sneak by without needing to use one since most of the pages are fairly long…but sounds like there’s some pages where it edges up a bit?

Also, this is the first mobile-friendly site we’ve done using @media queries. Fun stuff!

# February 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I think it looks great and is easy to navigate.

Just wondering what strategy you adopted for keeping the bandwidth low for images when decreasing the responsive design?

# February 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm

@tobeeornot Actually still working on that quite a bit. As of now, its just a lot of display:none, which isn’t ideal. But with 4G networks going to be the standard soon, not sure if it matters as much.

It was our first real attempt at a responsive design, so still strategizing what the best solution will be, short of re-directing to a completely separate but mobile site (which I’d rather not do).

# February 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

@luminated – I’m still struggling with that issue which is why I asked. Even with 4G becoming available, I think it would be great to find a solution as it to some extent undermines the point of responsive design. What do you think?

# February 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

for the NDA, why not use the more appropriate abbr element?

# February 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

@luminated. Do you think the two menus (especially the footer) is necessary? The scrolling is extremely minimal.

Also, the textured background does not seem to fit the design very well. I would personally go with something lighter.

I really like what you’ve done with the services page. Very nicely done.

# February 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

@wolfcry911 is right about the abbr element but this underlines by default, so it’s much of a muchness :)

@Luminated why settle for 89% :) more than half of the world has slow Internet and that’s not including mobile users

# February 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm

@ChristopherBurton We wanted the double nav to emulate the curves of our logo (its as if its the curve of the edge of a zoomed in “chee” logo). Beyond that, most pages have a quite a bit of scrolling actually, like the Portfolio, About and Blog.

We played with texture a whole lot but this one still felt the most unique. We really love all the dots (rather than lines). I could see it being a bit lighter, but I’d be curious to see what others think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".