Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback on my online Portfolio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    brokenview

Hi all,

I’m looking for some feedback on my online portfolio. I have had friends look at it and give me feedback but I would like some more professional feedback from people who know something about web design.

You can view the site at: http://www.joewolfedesign.com

Thank you!

Luminated

Honestly, I love your stuff…your photography and graphic skills are fantastic. Some things I would suggest:

You somehow make your profile a bit more prominent…I really felt the tiny thumbnails and small preview boxes didn’t do your intricate work justice.

It would be really nice if you come somehow alter your homepage picture of yourself so it didn’t load so slowly. Somewhere on the net I know of an ‘optimize your PNGs’ tutorial…I’ll see if I can find it. Or maybe you can split it into two, possibly even ditch it…I tend to be an advocate of not putting your face on the homepage, some people just get weirded out by it. I don’t know. It just really detracts from the otherwise really speedy loading of your page.

The random quote generator is cute, but ultimately a bit un-professional. Just let your amazing work speak for itself…perhaps display an example right on the homepage?

Also think the things listed under My Services on the homepage could be links…my mouse intuitively went there, I always take that as a sign of some kind of needed interaction.

I also thought your biography was sweet and fun, but perhaps too much info right off the bat? It’s nice to know your path, but most potential clients want to know more about your skills and how they apply to them, rather than how you got to where you are.

Side note: Photography really is one of my biggest passions, I wish I could do it as lucratively as I do Web Design. Check out my site below, click on Portfolio and then click "Continue to Photography Portfolio…." I think you’ll be impressed with some of the stuff I’ve done as well…you really understand lighting, so kudos.

pzn

A twitter feed would be perfect in that bubble.

brokenview

Luminated I really liked your photography section! I wish I could do HDR photography but I need a better camera. I’m looking to get a Nikon D3000 or D300 to start out with.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the PNG optimization, I’ll have to look into some techniques so that picture of me will load faster.

I guess with the other things (random quote generator, and bio) I wanted to try to sell myself to potential employers. Employers have started to look at job applicant’s facebook and myspace pages to see their moral character, so I decided to include those things on my page so they could get an idea of who I am.

Using twitter for the thought bubble was definitely something I considered but I don’t have a twitter account and I really don’t have a desire to have one….maybe I’ll change it later.

I’ll have to play around with the thumbnail sizes and see if I can find another sizing that I’ll be happy with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.