Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Feedback on a design

• # December 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hi guys

I have made [this static design](http://stevenwatson.co.uk/examples/spartans/ “Go to Spartans”) for my brother-in-law’s basketball team, and I’m just after a bit of critique.

I will converting it into a WP website once I have finalised the design and made a few other pages.

**Ps**. The page has only just been coded up tonight, so I may be changing a few things with it depending on how OCD’ish I get.

Thanks =)

# December 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Looks pretty good.

# December 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I don’t think there’s anything I can say there, it’s spot on!

# December 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Very nice. Just one thing tho. I would increase font size in your hor. nav. or leave it as is and apply transform uppercase, whichever looks better.

# December 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Cheers guys!

@jurotek – I have increased the font size in the navigation, I agree it was quite small, I liked uppercase too, but I prefer the increased font size more :)

# December 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm

One thing I just want to point out is that the logo doesn’t really go with the color palette.

# December 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm

That’s because the ball the spartan is leaning on is not right color. Otherwise it would be right on.

# December 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm

@Paulie_D – the logo was made by the client, I will look into making it more compatible with the colour scheme or I may even change the colour of the ball to a more realistic colour rather than the dark brown.

Cheers :)

# December 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm

@Watson90

Ha. I’m Chris, not Paulie.

# December 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Wow! I can’t believe I failed as much as that…apologies man.

Looks like Paulie is going to get an unnecessary email :/

# December 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Haha. It’s not a problem.

# December 15, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Try adding a wrapper around everything but the header and then apply a box-shadow on it. Using

box-shadow: 0 0 5px #000;
    or

box-shadow: 0 0 15px #000;
    look the best.

Also, try using jQuery for the animations as CSS3 isn’t supported in older browsers, unless you don’t really mind that.

Other than that, you’ve got a great design there!

# December 16, 2012 at 12:51 am

Add this to your nav. I find this to be good for user experience.

nav ul li a.active,
    nav ul li a.active:hover {
    background:#db672e;
    font-weight:bold;
    cursor:default;
    }

# December 16, 2012 at 3:11 am

@jurotek Out of curiosity, how is replacing the pointer with the default cursor good UX? Especially considering that browsers change the cursor to a pointer when hovering links, and that is what users are trained to expect.

# December 16, 2012 at 3:17 am

Looking pretty good @Watson90! Here is a list of my immediate thoughts:

- Why does the banner image have an inset shadow? It doesn’t really fit in with the rest of the design. Perhaps removing it, or a solid border would work better?
    - The page title doesn’t match what is says in the logo.
    - I’m not a fan of the gradient in the header, but that is just my personal preference. I’m glad to see people slowly moving away from gradients used in that way!
    - There could be a little more vertical space. This is most noticeable immediately below the banner image.
    - Also, the large amount of white space immediately above the footer doesn’t balance very well as there isn’t that much space anywhere else.
    - Speaking of the footer, have you tried a more subdued color, or a grey? Does it need to stand out as much as the navigation does?

I also agree with @chrisburton regarding the colours. Good luck with it!

EDIT: @chriscoyier Would you mind fixing up the markdown styling please? The above list is disappearing :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".