Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback & compatibility help welcome

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Qoopido

I have been working hard on my personal site

http://www.qoopido.com

And wanted to try some new concepts i had in mind for some time. Escpecially my cross-browser testing capabilities are quite limited on osx, especially regarding internet explorer.

I would love to get general layout as well as compatibility feedback to get the site running on ie9+. It should already run on newer ff, chrome, safari as well as the major mobile browsers.

Any feedbackis greatly appreciated :)

jurotek
    Participant

I like the layout and color scheme but as @jshjohnson said it’s no go on IE7-8

Qoopido

Thanks to both of you. I know the site will not run on ie6-8 which is ok for me.

But i would love to have compatible to ie9 and above…

Qoopido

And thanks for the link @jshjohnson :)

TreeRoot
    Participant

Looks good. Nice color scheme.

The slideshow did take a long time to load (3+ seconds) when I tried it in Chrome and IE9. The middle-right block isn’t loading anything in IE9.

Also your contact form overlay is problematic in IE9. After pressing ESC to dismiss the form, none of the links works nor can any text be selected. It looks like the overlay isn’t fully removed making it impossible to take any further navigation actions on the site. Everything works fine in Chrome though. I didn’t test this on a mobile browser, but, if you haven’t, you’ll probably want to make sure there’s some way to clearly dismiss the form on a mobile browser, such as a close button.

chrisburton
    Participant

You might want to have some sort of splash page for those IE versions you don’t support.

Qoopido

Thanks for the additional Feedback!

@TreeRoot

> The slideshow did take a long time to load (3+ seconds) when I tried it in Chrome and IE9.

All images are fully responsive (server generated) so the first load with a new ratio might take some time (for generating/caching the resized image) and the bigger the ratio the bigger the images that will be loaded. Can you verify if soft reloads also take that long?

> The middle-right block isn’t loading anything in IE9.
    It should show my box-shadow pixelate example from codepen which should work on IE9 as far as I can tell via caniuse.com, will look into that

> Also your contact form overlay is problematic in IE9
    I am not quite satisfied by the form myself as it is also problematic on mobile devices in landscape mode with a small height because it is centered via position fixed but is higher than the available screen height in some cases.

Will have to put some thoughts into this one as well i guess…

@chrisburton

Yep, i will sure integrate something like that or include browserupdate.org when the site leaves “beta” stage

TreeRoot
    Participant

@Qoopido

Soft reloads loads everything faster, although when I visited your site using Chrome (just directly loading your URL) the slideshow, nor the middle-right section loaded. The activity spinner just went on for over 10 seconds. I eventually stopped waiting, navigated to another page, then went back and it loaded ok.

I wasn’t able to reproduce this a second time, nor with IE9. So, this may have just been an aberration.

Qoopido

@TreeRoot Thanks for the additional Feedback! Might have been an aberration, agreed and should not happen normally. I sometimes have problems with cdnjs where most of the js libraries are loaded from which could cause such behaviour…

Qoopido

So, installed VirtualBox and an IE9 VM today and fixed most of the bugs:

Slideshow now has a fallback if CSS transitions are not supported

Right box in the lower content row now has a fallback if browser does not support worker

contact dialog now also has a fallback if CSS transitions are not supported (which also caused anything on the page to not be clickable when dialog was closed)

> Still open are the buttons in the contact dialog which are a bit weird…

Fixed as well, forgot an “overflow: visible” on the buttons…

Qoopido

@jkinney768
    I did think about using http://browserupdate.org/ which we normally use for our projects but concluded to do something on my own because of the experimental nature of the site. “outdated” is imho not the argument in my case…

… but iealert sure looks far more promising than browserupdate.org :)

I will dive a bit deeper into it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.