Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Fast-track learning procces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

It’s not the mock-up that’s the problem, it’s the approach AFTER the mock-up is done.

It’s the approach before the mock-up as well. A mock-up is not a finished product. It’s …well, a mock-up.

Oh and for the record… I used to mock-up EVERYTHING in Photoshop. Just lost the taste for it, but that’s just my personal style.

I started out doing so also. I never found it useful. It was pretty much a waste of time, in retrospect; it was actually hindering in some ways.

But, again, different people do things in different ways.

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s the approach before the mock-up as well. A mock-up is not a finished product. It’s …well, a mock-up.

That’s what I mean… sorry if I’m not articulating that correctly.

I find the actual process of development so much more fluid. I can make changes on a whim. Even though a mock-up IS just a mock-up… I still feel committed to it because of the time I spent making it. Therefore, I find that I personally am more reluctant to change things if I have a mock-up as my road map.

Sometimes I get lost though… that’s the downside. Ha ha.

chrisburton
    Participant

Mockups can have a bad reputation because developers hate design and people tend to use them mostly for design approaches. Look at who all speak out against them — developers.

Mockups are very very helpful to the client when you get into trying to explain why you chose certain methods to approach an efficient UX and UI. For example, why using Droid Sans on mobile would be a better approach over Open Sans. Sure, you can use code to show examples of the functionality but clients also want detailed information on why X rather than Y. Doing that and more in the browser? No, thank you.

there’s nothing wrong with a mockup, as long as it’s not “the website.”

Yeah, I agree. Definitely not talking about a full-fledged website. As stated above, I’m talking about mocking up UX functionality and UI elements and why doing or choosing X is better than Y.

nixnerd
    Participant

I also think we’re in uncharted territory right now as far as what constitutes a designer vs. a developer. I think that many people would draw the line in different places. To me, a designer MUST know HTML + CSS… they just don’t work on any functionality. Several other people would say designers need not know any of that.

Let me put it this way: I use SASS. Does that mean everyone who uses LESS is an idiot? Nope. Far from it.

Doing that and more in the browser? No, thank you.

This is a totally valid opinion and I agree that working with fonts in code is a bit cumbersome. Especially when it comes to showing clients specific examples. But for many things, I think code is easier. Changing the entire color scheme of a site or even changing the layout pretty substantially can be done in seconds or minutes with SASS.

chrisburton
    Participant

This is a totally valid opinion and I agree that working with fonts in code is a bit cumbersome. Especially when it comes to showing clients specific examples. But for many things, I think code is easier. Changing the entire color scheme of a site or even changing the layout pretty substantially can be done in seconds or minutes with SASS.

Yes, I agree with this! However, changing things are different than explaining in detail, showing proof of concept, etc.

GSG
    Participant

Great discussion! So a mock up is just a simple scheme where I can visualize things. The real battle field should be in my editor.

I put that question because I see people paying thousands of dollars for layouts so I was thinking it is actually a big deal the Photoshop mock up.

nixnerd
    Participant

The whole “PSD 2 HTML” thing is complete bullshit in my opinion. I think @chrisburton is recommending approaching mock-ups in a completely different and more responsible way. And his reasoning is quite sound. Clients are really picky and want to see everything. This is completely true. As long as you don’t start slicing… you’ll be fine! Unless it’s the “CSS-Off.” Then, slice away!

chrisburton
    Participant

What I’m saying is and I think Joe now understands me on this, is that some UX and UI elements should be mocked up with proof of concept and explanation as to why you approached Method-X rather than Method-Y. This is incredibly helpful when you go against what the client initially wanted with valid reasons to help their company succeed.

Slicing and all that, no way. I agree with Joe on this.

chrisburton
    Participant

Great discussion! So a mock up is just a simple scheme where I can visualize things. The real battle field should be in my editor

Nope. Go back and try reading again on what I’m saying. You may agree or disagree.

GSG
    Participant

So you’re saying that is better to make a quality layout when you’re dealing with an client. In this way you will show him better user experience and interaction elements before you actually start the code(if you know better ones, of course).

chrisburton
    Participant

So you’re saying that is better to make a quality layout when you’re dealing with an client

Sort of. Sometimes clients want specific things even if it’s bad for UI or UX. Therefore, creating a mockup of specific UI or UX methods along with proof of concept and an explanation (that they would understand) can be important for them to be successful. I’m not talking about mocking up a whole layout along with the footer area, etc.

I think that’s why people have a hard time with the word ‘mockup’. Designers have been doing it wrong.

GSG
    Participant

Yeah, makes perfect sense now. Thanks for your explanation.

GSG
    Participant

I just completed the work for my first client. I’m feeling great! It was a simple static website, for twenty bucks but I started two weeks ago with the web development so it’s a good progress for me.

I will continue to bid for these small jobs until I had more 4-5 stars review and then I will take a shot to the pay per hour contests.

I’m learning a lot with css-tricks, thanks guys for help. To give something back, I’m going to invest my first money in the lodge membership and I hope that I will be able to help other beginners here on the forum in the near future.

shaneisme
    Participant

Read this book with the money from your next gig:

http://www.abookapart.com/products/design-is-a-job

It will teach you what you need to know about running a business in this world.

GSG
    Participant

Thanks @shaneisme. It is a great book!

But the author considers that you are already a good web designer.

I am not a good developer, yet.

Here, on my range of price there are tons of bad clients. They don’t provide enough information, want experts for 50$ bucks and it is really hard to choose a quality client in my position.

What do you think is the best solution? Focus first on becoming a quality developer and after that jump in more serious gigs? Or I should continue searching into the small jobs?

I’m asking because my main objective is to become a good developer. I know the serious money will come after that, but I’d like to build a solid reputation too.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.