Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Exterminator Website…feedback?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Luminated

http://azexpest.com

Running wordpress…client wanted the blog to appear in the right hand column. I expect it to do well on search engines if they keep updating it along with their other tools.

Was also my first real abundant use of sIFR and it degrades really nicely. Also decided to take the leap and not support IE6 unless the client specifically requests it. :mrgreen:

I like! Really nice design overall.

Criticisms: I like the slab serifs, but the fonts are not consistent enough. You have the telephone number featured prominently in two different fonts, which stands out.

The main menu is a bit bland. The lower corners have a barely noticeable darkening that doesn’t match the background color, just enough to tell that it’s a jpeg and not a png. Those corners should be the same color as the background, unless you’re shooting for a drop shadow? Additionally, the text on the menu just seems a bit . . . bland. CSS sprites and image replacement might be a way to go, if the menu items are not expected to be changed often. I almost expect to see an inset effect when I hover, and it surprises me to just see the text change color.

The "Schedule An Appointment" button in the left column is a bit busy, with a bit too little whitespace around the text, as the text extends past a comfortable area within the gradient of the button. If that makes any sense. Just a small detail, I guess.

Something about the straight separation by color between the columns bothers me. Not sure what I would do there, but it lacks the depth of the rest of the site.

That all came out a great deal more harsh than I intended. I hope you can understand that I don’t intend to be harsh, and I really do quite like it; this is just what I see that could use improvement, and is only my opinion!

The site is very quick to load on my sloth-like 28.8kbps dial-up connection, especially subsequent pages after the main page, though the sIFR took a refresh or three to catch up in FF 3.5 at first. Great job on image compression and page load time optimization.

Luminated

Thanks for the feedback. The slab font is really only used for headers and since the phone numbers are not headers (except for the top image, in which is it header-like), I had to use a different font for consistency as far as the headers go.

I’m really happy with the site except for the left column almost entirely, but I’m not sure what to change.

As far as the button, I might play with that a bit more, I agree about the padding.

I didn’t really want to use image sprites for the navigation this time around. I use them lots on sites, but I wanted the site to be more dynamic rather than static. The client already wanted to change it once and I was really glad I didn’t use sprites. Plus, sprites with WordPress can be dangerous if the client ever chooses to rename the links. I wanted it to be really flexible and while sprites are damn cool, they are not flexible in the least.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.