Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other ergonomics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    shaya

Hi,

I’m wondering if other people have thoughts on setting up an ergonomic workspace, and other strategies for avoiding repetitive stress injuries. I have worked for several years as a CAD drafter and am now transitioning into web design. I have periodically had bouts of numb feelings in my wrists. I want to avoid more serious problems.

Any thoughts on things that have helped other people:
    -what mouse/keyboard you use–do you use trackball or regular mouse, ergonomic keyboard or a regular keyboard
    -chair/desk thoughts–do you use a pull out tray for keyboard that tilts and adjusts freely, and/or have some sort of special chair
    -exercises you do–do you stop work every so often to do any exercises
    -therapy–do you go every month or other time frame to a chiropractor or other type of therapist
    -other–do you wear a brace or do anything else that helps

Thanks so much

Matt

For one, I type using Dvorak. Does it lessen the chance of RSI? Who knows, I don’t, and there’s no real hard evidence, but I do make less trips to the upper and lower rows.

Second, get a good chair that you can just sit back and relax in. I can’t count the days I’ve had to stop working because I got a strain headache in the back of my head.

Take a break every so often, you’ll thank yourself for it.

Finally, don’t put your head up and squint at the screen. If the text is too hard to read, decrease the resolution until you can.

shaya

thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.