Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS EMERGENCY 911

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

indeed. I wasn’t trying to “dump” on you, @matt_sanford. It was sincere advice.

At the time, I was “out and about” and didn’t have the capability of troubleshooting (only one browser, and not the one you stated had a problem).

There was also the possibility (unlikely, I thought, but still possible) that you *did* have backups somewhere, and hadn’t thought of that approach. I was hoping that, even if you didn’t, you would be able to learn from the experience and plan for this sort of problem “next time.”

I’m glad it’s sorted now. Good luck with your future coding.

Watson90

+1 on what @chrisburton said. There is nothing more annoying than people that pretend to ask for help and guidance when in fact they’re looking for someone else to do the hard work for them.

I’m surprised you even received help on this thread after blowing @traq off like that…

__
    Participant

Thanks, folks, though I wasn’t offended. This is a very common situation for web help forums – sometimes a person really is “just being lazy,” but more often, they’ve honestly been trying and cannot solve the problem on their own. The real issue is that they may be expecting to be “attacked” or ridiculed, and so are defensive before even reading responses – and it’s easy to misinterpret the “tone” of plain text. Combine that with the fact that a person may already be quite frustrated with a problem they can’t solve on their own, and it’s not surprising that anything that is “not a solution” is interpreted as “what an *******, I’m asking for help, not to feel stupid.”

Not saying that that’s the *correct* attitude/interpretation, of course, but it takes experience and patience to successfully ask for and accept help in an online forum.

matt_sanford
    Participant

@traq You got right on the head. I was fiercely frustrated with that issue and I was really just looking for a direct answer. However you gave sound advice indeed which I will be using in upcoming projects. So thanks!

It Is hard indeed to interpret plain text in any sort of tone , but I most certainly should have done a better job at trying to convey a more thankful tone rather than indifferent and defensive. My most humble apologies to you and whoever else felt offended by my comment earlier.

__
    Participant

No problem, as I said, I wasn’t offended. But now that I know, I’ll be sure to help you again next time. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.