Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Embedding Licensed Fonts which can’t be downloaded

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rosco
    Participant

Hi guys,

If a company uses a particular font for it’s branding that it has purchased a license for, can this be embedded into a website if it is not one of the free Google or @font-face fonts? If so, what would be the best way of doing this, and can it be secured so that the font can’t be downloaded by the public?

Thanks,

Ross

jamygolden

I can’t be sure without seeing the license but I’d bet you aren’t allowed to use it via @font-face. Also, there is no way of securing it so that the public can’t download your @font-face font. As far as I know, that’s the reason you aren’t allowed to use many fonts via @font-face.

rosco
    Participant

Hi,

I’m not tied to using @font-face if there are any other options available? The important thing is that I can use a custom font, which we have purchased a license for, and secure it so that it can’t be downloaded.

Any ideas?

chrisburton
    Participant

@rosco I think this depends in what context you plan on using the font in. Such as logo’s, headings, copy, etc. I believe there are solutions for what you’re asking. If I understand correctly, you want to know ways to securely use your custom font on your site?

Fonts.com, I believe, has a service for secure use of custom fonts on the web. Typekit may also have something that I’m not aware of.

rosco
    Participant

The font is Klampenborg

chrisburton
    Participant

I’ve edited my post above.

Anyway, if you plan on using this for headings, which I think this font is more suitable as display type in general, you could just use images/sprite.

rosco
    Participant

kgscott284 I read this, but it also says Embedding of fonts > Exceptions to the rule: When embedding the font on a website by use of a font hosting service – that prevents the fonts from being downloaded in full by the end-user.
    Does this mean that if I can host this on a site that allows uploading of custom fonts this would be an exception to the rule?

On the TypeKit website it says:

Bring your own license

Extend your Typekit account with additional fonts from participating foundries. And if you have a custom corporate font, you can bring it to Typekit via our Enterprise Plans; contact us for details.

Would this be an option?

rosco
    Participant

Hi Chris, yes that’s correct. We’ll only be using this for headings and would be lighter in weight than using image sprites

chrisburton
    Participant

@rosco I’m confused by what your interpretation of the word “custom font” is? Has someone manipulated the Klampenborg characters? What makes this font custom to you?

It just sounds like you want to use the Klampenborg font in general via @font-face. Unless the type-designer contacted Typekit, you’re out of luck. You have no rights to do that yourself.

rosco
    Participant

Hi Chris, I’m interpreting it as a font that is not available via Google Font, @Font Face or any other web font library. As far as I am aware Klampenborg isn’t currently available through any of these services

chrisburton
    Participant

You’re out of luck unless Typekit, fonts.com or another webfont service acquires the use for embedding.

rosco
    Participant

ok great, thanks for your help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.